* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 4
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Downloads for Forum Members

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 9
  • stats Total Posts: 8460
  • stats Total Topics: 1351
  • stats Total Categories: 4
  • stats Total Boards: 23
  • stats Most Online: 55
  Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
3 Replies
Last post August 18, 2015, 11:30:34 AM
by Luce
Post Mortem 11

Started by genie

2 Replies
Last post August 15, 2015, 10:43:14 AM
by genie
3 Replies
Last post August 10, 2015, 08:08:21 AM
by Luce
Episode Nine

Started by Luce

3 Replies
Last post August 04, 2015, 12:34:15 PM
by genie
There I was....

Started by genie

1 Replies
Last post July 26, 2015, 02:46:11 PM
by Luce
0 Replies
Last post July 25, 2015, 05:32:24 PM
by genie
0 Replies
Last post July 25, 2015, 12:44:53 PM
by genie
7 Replies
Last post July 15, 2015, 02:51:27 PM
by Luce
2 Replies
Last post June 29, 2015, 09:18:47 AM
by genie
1 Replies
Last post June 23, 2015, 03:16:48 AM
by Luce
0 Replies
Last post June 09, 2015, 07:21:32 AM
by genie

Normal Topic
Hot Topic (More than 15 replies)
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 replies)

Locked Topic
Sticky Topic
Poll

* BBC Films

* The Guardian (Film)

• post Saroo Brierley, the inspiration for the film Lion: 'My mother saw my face after 25 years' - 24 February
  • When he was five, he fell asleep on a train and ended up 1,000 miles from home. His journey from Indian street-child to adopted Australian is now the subject of an Oscar-tipped film. Here he and his biological mother talk about their reunionSaroo Brierley is fresh off the plane, sitting in a movie studio office overlooking Beverly Hills, once again adapting to an alien environment. The Academy Awards are on Sunday, and Los Angeles is in full Oscars mode, with limousines ferrying stars, executives and other film folk through the winter sunshine to receptions and cocktail parties.The mood is febrile. Some nominees starve themselves in order to fit into tuxes and gowns. Others get last-minute Botox injections. Soothsayers stake reputations on whether Moonlight will spoil La La Land?s expected sweep, or whether Denzel Washington will pip Casey Affleck. The Hollywood Reporter has published an article headlined: ?Nervous about the Oscars? 4 tips for dealing with panic attacks.? And of course there is Hollywood?s expected declaration of war against Donald Trump in the podium speeches. Continue reading...
  • post Forget La La Land, the real goddesses of the silver screen had substance as well as style - 24 February
  • The era was no feminist paradise for women, but stars such as Katharine Hepburn and Barbara Stanwyck proved attractive women could also be demanding and intelligentLa La Land, a favourite to win at the Oscars, has been celebrated as not only a tribute to the great films of classic Hollywood, but as a movie that might inspire audiences to rediscover them. If it does so, great. But anyone who thinks La La Land embodies the spirit of old movies hasn?t seen very many of them. It has style, but little substance. Like Woody Allen?s Caf Society, similarly hailed as a love letter to classic film, these movies may look like old Hollywood, but they lack a spine, a nerve centre. They have no backbone. When I was growing up in the 1980s, American popular culture was pretty much a wasteland of positive female images. There was no one I aspired to resemble, until I discovered classic Hollywood movies, with women such as Katharine Hepburn, Barbara Stanwyck, Jean Harlow, Bette Davis, Joan Crawford. These women radiated authority, to which I instinctively responded without knowing why. I found myself embarking on a cinematic journey through an entire era when ? temporarily ? Hollywood stopped worrying and learned to love the bombshell. Continue reading...
  • post #OscarsSoOrange? Hollywood on edge as politically charged ceremony looms - 24 February
  • For once the films have taken second billing in the leadup to Sunday?s Academy Awards, with global viewership expected to surge in anticipation of what the stars will say about Donald TrumpHollywood is girding for an onslaught against Donald Trump in what is expected to be the most politically charged Oscars in living memory.
    Instead of squirming at the hashtag #OscarsSoWhite, which has highlighted Hollywood?s lack of diversity in recent years, industry figures are gearing for a collective liberal howl against the perma-tanned president, prompting predictions the 89th Academy Awards will be remembered as #OscarsSoOrange. Continue reading...
  • post A brief history of the Oscars in viral moments they want you to forget - 24 February
  • The shocks, the cockups, the stumbles ? and anything involving John Travolta. We relive the moments everyone secretly hopes forNobody watches the Oscars to see who wins. Why would they, when the frontrunners all tend to be puddingy, little-watched middlebrow fare like The Imitation Game? No, people only watch for the cock-ups, the unexpected moments that fleetingly bring these moribund vessels of self-congratulation to life. With another ceremony about to rumble into life, let?s look at some of the most notorious moments that have gone before. Continue reading...
  • post My favorite best picture Oscar winner: The Lost Weekend - 24 February
  • Concluding our series of Guardian writers? all-time Academy picks, Benjamin Lee explains why this harrowing 1946 winner is still one of the most vital films about alcoholism ever madeWhen the Academy chooses to reward a film that revolves around an ?issue?, it?s usually one that takes said issue, smooths out any jagged edges and then uses it to bludgeon the audience into exhausted submission. Subtlety and even a vague awareness of reality are concepts that get ignored in favor of an after-school special full of simplistic preaching (*coughs* Crash *ends cough*). Related: My favorite best picture Oscar winner: Titanic Continue reading...
  • post Why Hacksaw Ridge should win the best picture Oscar - 24 February
  • Mel Gibson?s gore-laden war story is not just a crowdpleasing tale of American bravery, it?s a unique film about faith and suffering It?s the age-old story: a solitary, unlikely individual is chosen by a higher power to transcend their limitations and achieve something impossible. Against all the odds, and despite the scorn of their peers, their deep beliefs allow them to do something others cannot. They endure, they prevail and, eventually, they go down in history, remembered with reverence and awe. They do not have a say, these chosen few, they must simply follow the call of duty. But they always prevail. And so it is that I today accept my own impossible burden: to write about why a Mel Gibson film should win the best picture Oscar.For those of you who haven?t seen Hacksaw Ridge ? which may include those opposed to individuals who make antisemitic remarks or engage in domestic abuse ? let me set the thing up for you. Andrew Garfield plays Desmond Doss, a Seventh Day Adventist from Virginia. Hard-working Doss (the irony is lost on the Americans) is a patriot who volunteers to join the army after Pearl Harbor, but there?s a small complication: his religious beliefs prevent him from taking up arms. Continue reading...
  • post Isabelle Huppert: 'Men aren't afraid of women the way women are afraid of men' - 23 February
  • France?s arthouse star has received her first Oscar nomination for the rape revenge thriller Elle. She explains why her character is a ?post-feminist heroine? ? and why she wanted the controversial role that Hollywood actors wouldn?t touchIsabelle Huppert is displeased. In a soulless hotel conference room, she is due to give a TV interview about her new film, Elle. The lighting, however, is unacceptable. Huppert peers through the camera, shakes her head. There are terse exchanges, rearranged chairs. Five minutes becomes 10. The lighting is tweaked. Her frown is now a scowl. Everything is running late. Fifteen. The crew look suicidal. Twenty. And then, apparently at random, she says OK.You feel like applauding. TV lighting is often terrible, working on camera is what she does, the problem has been resolved without her hiding behind a publicist. The crew still look traumatised, but they?ll live. I?m next. Huppert, the heavyweight champion of arthouse cinema, is 5ft 3in, in a trouser suit, spectral pale, briskly civil. A friend who met her recently said she spent the whole conversation playing with her phone, but this time, after a single animated call ? dinner plans ? she tucks it into her Chanel handbag. She takes a measure of my French. We will talk in English. Continue reading...
  • post John Minchinton obituary - 24 February
  • My father, John Minchinton, who has died aged 90, was the foremost English film subtitler for more than 60 years. John started in the industry as an editor and historian and worked at Film Polski in London.Around 1964 he set up as an independent subtitler, converting a cupboard in his bedroom to hold an Editola which allowed him to view 35mm film prints and undertake the process. Between then and his retirement at the age of 88, John subtitled more than 1,600 different films (from shorts to feature length) and, as some were revised several times, there were more than 2,500 lists on his files. At his peak he was subtitling more than one feature film a week. Continue reading...
  • post Letter: Ken Grieve?s encounter with the Stasi - 24 February
  • As Carol Wilks noted, the film and TV director Ken Grieve invariably enjoyed a fine rapport with actors and crew. When a screenwriter for the 13-episode TV adaptation of Len Deighton?s Game, Set and Match (1988), I also loved working with Ken, his factual precision, instinct and sense of dramatic structure and timing always faultless. He was quiet and passionate, a great companion with a complex, generous soul.And often hilarious. Part of the filming took place under the binoculars and guns of the East German Stasi and the Russian KGB. On one research trip across the border, Ken neglected to remove a Granada TV pass from his top pocket ? instantly clocked by the guards, who spent the rest of the evening trying to hinder our progress through East Berlin and make us miss curfew at Checkpoint Charlie, which could have legitimately led to detention and interrogation. Continue reading...
  • post This year's best Oscar tat: from statuette loo-brushes to a popcorn Emma Stone - 23 February
  • Love the Academy Awards? Why not buy your own knock-off toy Oscar to present to your friends and family?The Oscars are the greatest event of the entire year. Not because we get to see true artistry celebrated on an enormous stage, nor because we get to see the world?s most beautiful people sheened and buffed and sent out before the world. No, the Oscars are great because so many different purveyors of pap always break their necks trying to cash in on them. Every year, without fail, we are presented with a torrent of piggybacking ?will-this-do? products designed to steal a sliver of spotlight away from the Academy Awards. Presented below are a few of my own personal favourites from this year?s circus. Continue reading...

* CinemaBlend

* Guardian - Film

* Recent Posts

Re: Oh, how I love Dave Barry by Oso
[Today at 12:09:58 PM]

Re: Oh, how I love Dave Barry by Nath
[February 23, 2017, 04:24:25 PM]

Re: Lunch with the Pope by genie
[February 22, 2017, 06:04:49 PM]

Oh, how I love Dave Barry by genie
[February 22, 2017, 06:02:11 PM]

Re: Lunch with the Pope by Nath