* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 21
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Downloads for Forum Members

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 14
  • stats Total Posts: 8857
  • stats Total Topics: 1487
  • stats Total Categories: 4
  • stats Total Boards: 22
  • stats Most Online: 62
  Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
1 Replies
Last post October 10, 2017, 08:41:45 PM
by Luce
1 Replies
Last post July 23, 2017, 02:52:50 AM
by Luce
Scene

Started by genie

3 Replies
Last post June 30, 2017, 08:17:40 PM
by genie
Poster

Started by genie

3 Replies
Last post June 14, 2017, 05:28:27 PM
by Luce
3 Replies
Last post April 21, 2017, 08:29:21 PM
by genie
7 Replies
Last post June 23, 2015, 03:20:00 AM
by Luce

Normal Topic
Hot Topic (More than 15 replies)
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 replies)

Locked Topic
Sticky Topic
Poll

* BBC Films

* The Guardian (Film)

• post Sarah Solemani: 'The TV and film industries are toxic ? and it starts in the audition room' - 20 October
  • The Harvey Weinstein scandal puts us at a crossroads. Can we remake the industry?My first experience of sexism in showbusiness came early, when I was 19. I was invited to the director?s house for dinner, just the two of us. He cooked. It was delicious. He?d had practice, to be fair, being in his 50s. After dinner he asked how I felt about nudity. Another role in the project we were working on had involved nudity, so it didn?t feel a strange question, being 19 and ever so keen.?Oh, but your story needed it,? I gushed. ?It was brilliantly done.? Continue reading...
  • post Rich pickings: how Hollywood rivals will profit from Weinstein's downfall - 20 October
  • Competitors are moving to snap up the imploding independent studio?s back catalogue, but the assets cannot be fully valued until the scandal subsidesThe death knell may have sounded over The Weinstein Company (TWC) name but Hollywood rivals believe the business has a secure future ? without its disgraced co-founder ? due to a legacy of hits including The King?s Speech and Silver Linings Playbook, as well as a strong slate of upcoming releases.The independent studio, mired in the Harvey Weinstein abuse scandal, has put itself up for sale and this week TWC secured an emergency injection of cash from private equity firm Colony Capital, which is also in talks to buy all or part of the business. Last year, Weinstein said that the business, including its library, was worth up to $800m (Ł600m) and had no debt. What is certain now, however, is that the brand is worthless. Continue reading...
  • post Gerard Butler: I injected myself with bee venom and ended up in hospital - 20 October
  • Scottish actor went into anaphylactic shock after using the traditional remedy after a 12-hour day of performing stuntsGerard Butler has told how he went into anaphylactic shock after being injected with the venom of 23 bee stings.The Scottish actor said he had been over-exuberant with the remedy, which some claim eases muscle ache, after a 12-hour day of performing stunts on set for his latest film, Geostorm. Continue reading...
  • post I Remember You review ? Nordic noir goes a step too far - 20 October
  • This Icelandic horror has the knitwear, the frozen landscapes and the tortured detective, but the addition of a supernatural plot feels like a cop-outHere?s what feels like a slightly unnecessary addition to the Nordic noir canon, tacking on an element of scary-kid horror to the genre?s usual ingredients ? a tortured detective figure, distracting knitwear, frozen landscapes and the stench of corruption. It?s adapted from a bestselling novel by the queen of Icelandic crime fiction, Yrsa Sigur?ardóttir, and opens with a grisly discovery ? the body of a 71-year-old woman found hanged in a church with crosses burned into her back. The only doctor available to examine the corpse is a beardy psychiatrist (Jóhannes Haukur Jóhannesson), whose eight-year-old son vanished a few years earlier. Meanwhile, a young couple renovate a creepy old house in the western fjords, planning to open it as a B&B.But just when you think you?ve stepped into a page-turning procedural thriller, the clues linking the three storylines begin to point to an unearthly culprit. Maybe it?s a matter of personal taste, but for me, the spectre of a supernatural explanation felt like a plot cop-out. Or perhaps the movie simply lacks a truly shocking moment of horror. It?s entertaining enough, but certainly didn?t have me reaching for a jumper. Continue reading...
  • post Sean Penn lawyers warn Netflix over El Chapo documentary - 20 October
  • Hollywood actor believes The Day I Met El Chapo puts him in danger by implying he helped US capture Mexican druglordLawyers for the actor Sean Penn have reportedly warned Netflix that a documentary about the Mexican druglord known as El Chapo places their client in danger.In a letter seen by the New York Times, Theodore J Boutrous Jr, acting for Penn, tells the streaming service ?blood will be on their hands if this film causes bodily harm?. Continue reading...
  • post Jason Isaacs on The Death of Stalin: ?Cameron told me it was exactly like what was going on in Downing Street? - 20 October
  • The actor?s role in Armando Iannucci?s Soviet satire is another memorable one to go along with his turns in Harry Potter and the new Star Trek series. Here, he explains why he played Marshal Zhukov with a Yorkshire accentMost actors, especially the male, British ones, will crack a few self-deprecating jokes in an interview, if only for form?s sake. Call it the Hugh Grant legacy. Jason Isaacs does this often enough to make you think he may actually mean it. ?I just think I?m rubbish,? he says at one point. Then, later: ?I can?t believe people don?t go, ?I?m so sorry, we?ve made a terrible mistake for the last 30 years. Please go and open a cake shop.?? As regards his casting in The Death of Stalin, Armando Iannucci?s splendidly bleak new comedy about Soviet power struggles, he is even more down on himself: ?I was pretty sure that Armando had got the wrong address, that he was sending the script off to Jason Bateman or Jason Statham. Presumably, someone more expensive wasn?t available.?No one who has seen The Death of Stalin could believe that for a millisecond. This is a film stuffed to the Kremlin rafters with covetable comic roles, each one performed with the deadly precision of a Red Army sniper, yet Isaacs, as the Soviet war hero Georgy Zhukov, is the most riotously enjoyable of all. Zhukov doesn?t even turn up until halfway through, but, when he does, he makes an entrance, as Isaacs puts it (and there really is no other way), ?like a big, swinging dick?. Continue reading...
  • post Buena Vista Social Club: Adios review ? thoughtful final look at the Cuban music phenomenon - 20 October
  • Lucy Walker?s documentary usefully fills in gaps left by the wildly successful 1999 Wim Wenders film about the band and its few ageing survivorsThis thoughtful if somewhat scattered documentary takes a last look at the hugely influential Buena Vista Social Club phenomenon, a project that started out as an album recording tracks by ageing Cuban musicians brought together by British impresario Nick Gold and produced by American musician Ry Cooder. Director Wim Wenders made a wildly successful documentary in 1999 that helped increase sales the album, while the artists it featured (most of whom had never worked with each other before) became near household names in metropolitan, world-music-curious households across the world. Here, director Lucy Walker interweaves interviews with many of the surviving band members and archive footage to provide biographical, political and historical background. That usefully fills in gaps the first documentary left unsaid, but then part of the original?s charm was its present-tense focus on the music. It?s especially sad to see stars such as Ruben González and Ibrahim Ferrer on their last legs, however heroic their efforts might be to keep on playing. As with Wenders?s film, silken-voiced Omara Portuondo stands out as not just one of the greatest musicians but also a charmer whose little-known backstory is a kind of microcosm of Cuban history. Continue reading...
  • post No more Mr Nice Guy: the actors who revived their careers with extreme makeovers - 20 October
  • Affable goofball Vince Vaughn is on the verge of a Vaughnaissance with his gleeful antihero in Brawl in Cell Block 99. Here?s who he can take tips fromTrace your way through Vince Vaughn?s career ? from affable-boyish late-90s Vince, past affable-goofball noughties Vince and all the way to affable-jaded latter-day Vince ? and you probably wouldn?t expect his next role to involve grinding another man?s skull into a cold concrete floor. Or snapping an assailant?s arm over his knee like a piece of firewood. Related: Brawl in Cell Block 99 review ? Vince Vaughn has a riot in ultraviolent thriller Continue reading...
  • post Secret Superstar review ? first-class Aamir Khan about Indian teenager's pop star ambitions - 20 October
  • A young woman becomes a YouTube sensation dressed in a burqa in this surprising and moving Bollywood drama starring Khan and Zaira WasimBollywood?s big autumn release unspools like a continuation of last year?s crowdpleaser Dangal. Once again, progressively minded megastar Aamir Khan amplifies a young woman?s voice, it?s just that the process, in this instance, is literal. The voice belongs to Insia (Zaira Wasim, one of Dangal?s wrestler girls), a small-town teenager with big, primetime-TV-fuelled dreams of becoming the Indian Taylor Swift. Alas, her controlling, abusive father would prefer she grew up to serve him ? so she takes the unusual step of uploading her tunes to YouTube in full burqa-clad anonymity, becoming a viral sensation. The well-worn narrative furrow towards the limelight expands ? as Khan?s best films do ? into a consideration of several issues, from the internet?s transformative powers to a woman?s place in male-dominated households and industries: Khan, nearing Hanks-ish likability levels, is a joy as a preening producer struggling to throw off his ?Mr Nasty? reputation. One surprise is that there are surprises come the third act, not least a tremendous raising of stakes with dad?s plan to relocate his clan to Saudi, threatening to turn our heroine?s makeshift disguise into a permanent prison. Continue reading...
  • post Moguls and starlets: 100 years of Hollywood?s corrosive, systemic sexism - 19 October
  • From the earliest days of Hollywood, women were stage managed and manipulated by older men in powerful positions. And it?s clear that, although Harvey Weinstein has been outed, little has changedIn the Hollywood dream factory, trauma surfaces as light entertainment. In 2013, introducing the list of best supporting actress nominees at a pre-Oscars event, comedian Seth MacFarlane quipped: ?Congratulations, you five ladies no longer have to pretend to be attracted to Harvey Weinstein.? What was chilling about this was not just that MacFarlane followed it up at the Oscars with a stream of ?edgy? jokes, including the line that nine-year-old Quvenzhané Wallis had ?16 years before she?s too old for Clooney? and the nauseating We Saw Your Boobs song. What is really disturbing is that everyone ? even people who had no idea of what has now emerged about Weinstein?s behaviour ? got the joke. The idea that female stars and aspiring stars are required to accept the attentions, at the very least, of older male studio executives and producers, is as old as the Hollywood hills. Continue reading...

* CinemaBlend

* Guardian - Film

* Recent Posts

Re: The "F" word QUIZ by genie
[October 19, 2017, 08:30:29 PM]

Re: The "F" word QUIZ by Oso
[October 19, 2017, 06:03:34 PM]

Re: The "F" word QUIZ by Luce
[October 19, 2017, 08:38:47 AM]

Re: Ophelia by blueeyedbookworm
[October 18, 2017, 07:33:56 PM]

The "F" word QUIZ by genie