* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 17
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Downloads for Forum Members

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13
  • stats Total Posts: 9951
  • stats Total Topics: 1700
  • stats Total Categories: 4
  • stats Total Boards: 22
  • stats Most Online: 72

Author Topic: It's raining in Belgium  (Read 503 times)

Luce

• Royalty
  • I've never been so happy in all my life...
It's raining in Belgium
« on: August 09, 2018, 04:18:50 AM »
I've never been so happy in all my life to say these words.
We had nine endless weeks of drought and two heatwaves with temperatures above 86F or 30C!
Farmers were alarming all over the country since they were forbidden to use tap water for their crops.
We were forbidden to wash the car, water the garden, fill the pool. With tap water, that is.
Hermy has a well tapping into an underground water layer and even that was off limits. Hermy didn't pay attention, of course, darling rebel that he is!

But finally, here's the rain again. I fear this gorgeous summer is over. Sniff!
QUEEN UNDER THE MOUNTAIN

Oso

• Royalty
Re: It's raining in Belgium
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 03:49:11 PM »
I’m happy to hear that you’re getting rain Luce!  I was surprised to see how dry the grass and plants were in London. It was so brown it reminded me of home!

genie

• Monarch
  • Royalty
  • oof!
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 04:57:08 PM »
We've had about a month of storms everyday.  My poor solar panes have had little sun to collect.

For the past year the county, at least in our area, has road work going on all the time.  They are digging and laying pipe - I say pipe but it's got to be called something else - round concrete tubes that you can easily drive a mini through - no joke.  It's strictly for water "run-off".  Our rains are huge deluges most times.  They don't last long, but the whole area floods quickly.  This is our rainy season in August averaging about 6 inches per day.

Sorry to hear about your 86 degree F weather. LOL.   That's our overnight temp. 

genie

• Monarch
  • Royalty
  • oof!
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 04:58:46 PM »
Oso, how are the fires in your area?

Oso

• Royalty
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 11:37:57 PM »

No fires in the immediate area, but the Holy Fire is about 40 miles north of here.  I'm calling it the Holy $&*# Fire!  Problem is that it can be 40 miles away today and at my doorstep by tomorrow... :scared

Luce

• Royalty
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 03:53:41 AM »
I watch the news with anxiety every day, Oso. I hope it will be over soon!
QUEEN UNDER THE MOUNTAIN

genie

• Monarch
  • Royalty
  • oof!
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2018, 08:36:06 AM »

No fires in the immediate area, but the Holy Fire is about 40 miles north of here.  I'm calling it the Holy $&*# Fire!  Problem is that it can be 40 miles away today and at my doorstep by tomorrow... :scared

Are you getting smoke in your area? 

Nath

• Royalty
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2018, 12:39:46 PM »
I've just learned about the fires in California.
Seems like this happens every year!
Oso, I hope very much it will stop soon! It's so frightening!  Do you have a plan of moving to a safe place in case of any hintthat it may be getting dangerous?

Nath

• Royalty
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2018, 12:51:03 PM »
Luce, in your area the climate looks to be changing! Hot summer is not typical for Belgium?
We are having this year a wonderful summer. Not too hot, but warm enough, some rains, so that you don't have to water the plants.
Now my husband Alexander and I are using warm days without rains (probably the last such period of the summer) for painting the country house.
In fact this is the first summer sinse I've lost my job, and I am enjoying life in my country house.

blueeyedbookworm

• Royalty
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2018, 07:46:45 PM »
Thinking of you, Oso! I'm crossing my fingers that the fires pass you by, and that they can be contained soon!

Nath, it sounds like you're having a lovely summer! That's great that you've gotten to spend some extra time enjoying your country home.

Luce

• Royalty
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2018, 03:54:20 AM »
Luce, in your area the climate looks to be changing! Hot summer is not typical for Belgium?
We are having this year a wonderful summer. Not too hot, but warm enough, some rains, so that you don't have to water the plants.
Now my husband Alexander and I are using warm days without rains (probably the last such period of the summer) for painting the country house.
In fact this is the first summer sinse I've lost my job, and I am enjoying life in my country house.

No, normally we have a moderate climate due to the Gulf Stream passing through the Channel. Sunny summers are rare, mostly it's mild, wet weather here. When we have 30C days, we're puffing away because we're not used to it! LOL

Nath, this has been a most unusal summer for us, but I'm not complaining. I love hot days, but that might be because I know it will not last in Belgium. Only this year, it did last a long six weeks!

I didn't know your husband's name was Alexander! That's a lovely name, because my first grandson is also Alexander.
QUEEN UNDER THE MOUNTAIN

Nath

• Royalty
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2018, 05:51:30 PM »

Nath, it sounds like you're having a lovely summer! That's great that you've gotten to spend some extra time enjoying your country home.
Yes BEB! I am having a nice long vacation, all problems must wait till some time in autumn!  :fav309:
How are you doing? How is your summer?

Nath

• Royalty
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2018, 05:59:28 PM »

I didn't know your husband's name was Alexander! That's a lovely name, because my first grandson is also Alexander.
Luce, Alexander is my favourite male name. It might be of interest to you that the short name of Alexander for a boy in Russian is Sasha.

Oso

• Royalty
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2018, 07:26:54 PM »
All is well here for now!  No fires!  Thank you all for thinking of me.  We are in the midst of fire season though, so we are always on alert. In the past we've had photos, luggage and important papers ready to load and we've videotaped the entire house and its contents.

Our last big fire in my part of San Diego was the Witch Fire back in 2007. We had about 200 homes burn in Rancho Bernardo.

They sent out a reverse 911 call in the middle of the night and some calm person documented their evacuation..

Nath, it's about time you got to enjoy your summer home!  Good for you!  So are you now officially retired?!  I would love to retire...but I've got one more child to put through college.   :fav350:

Nath

• Royalty
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2018, 12:31:34 AM »
Oso, nice to know all is well for you regarding the fire!
 I can't watch YT on my tablet, I will watch later when I am in Moscow, but anyway, the person documenting evacuation must be a calm one!
As for my retirement, I am rather dismissed than retired. Our company was sold, and the new owner closed our Moscow office forcing everybody to go away on terms of mutual consent.
I understand your looking forward to retirement, your work is so demanding, but I think it is great to still have at least one child by your side, it means you are still young! It all passes so soon!

* BBC Films

* The Guardian (Film)

• post Boots Riley attacks Spike Lee over ?made up? BlacKkKlansman - 20 August
  • Sorry to Bother You director condemns portrayal of black and white officers as allies in fight against racismBoots Riley, the director of the acclaimed satire Sorry to Bother You, has taken aim at Spike Lee?s new film, BlacKkKlansman, in which a black police officer infiltrates a white supremacist organisation.In an essay posted on Twitter, Riley calls the film ?a made-up story in which the false parts of it try to make a cop the protagonist in the fight against racist oppression?, adding: ?It?s being put while Black Lives Matter is a discussion, and this is not coincidental. There is a viewpoint behind it.? Continue reading...
  • post Asia Argento accused of paying off actor who says she sexually assaulted him aged 17 - 20 August
  • The actor and #MeToo campaigner ? who accused Harvey Weinstein of rape ? reportedly paid $380,000 last year to former co-star Jimmy Bennett One of the most prominent activists of the #MeToo movement against sexual harassment recently settled a complaint filed against her by a young actor and musician who said she sexually assaulted him when he was 17, the New York Times reported.
    Asia Argento, 42, settled the notice of intent to sue filed by Jimmy Bennett, who is now 22, for $380,000 shortly after she said last October that movie mogul Harvey Weinstein raped her, the Times reported. Continue reading...
  • post Francis Ford Coppola agrees Winona Ryder and Keanu Reeves might be married - 20 August
  • Director of Bram Stoker?s Dracula says 1992 film starring the pair included a real wedding ceremonyFrancis Ford Coppola has backed a theory by Winona Ryder that she and Keanu Reeves might be married. The director of the 1992 film Bram Stoker?s Dracula, which starred Ryder and Reeves, corroborated Ryder?s story that a wedding scene involving the pair could be legally binding. Continue reading...
  • post Out of Ctrl: how the laptop screen became cinema?s go-to for conveying today?s terrors - 20 August
  • A new breed of thrillers such as the John Cho-starring Searching use computer screens as a framing device. It?s a high-impact technique, even if it looks daft in the cinema?I am big; it?s the pictures that got small,? sneered Norma Desmond, the screen-diva heroine of Billy Wilder?s Sunset Boulevard, about an industry that had left her behind for television. She didn?t know how good she had it: movie stars these days must accept that many of their fans prefer to gaze upon their faces shrunk to iPhone size. For the Netflix generation, the laptop screen is the big one; the flatscreen telly is basically Imax.Now, a spate of thrillers are building their stories expressly around the laptop screen. When you consider our changing viewing habits, it makes sense: it is a genre of cinema that actively benefits from downsizing the viewing experience. It kicked off in earnest with 2015?s Unfriended: a canny twist on found-footage horror framed entirely as a teenager?s MacBook screencast, it offered a low-budget, high-impact and more authentic-feeling alternative to previous, unsuccessful attempts to dramatise internet threat on film (the less said about Hideo Nakata?s ultra-naff Chatroom the better). Unfriended was a down-with-the-kids attempt that actually connected, grossing 64 times its million-dollar budget; a fine figure, although presumably a drop in the ocean relative to the number of people who, in thematically apposite fashion, torrented it online. Continue reading...
  • post Film in the public domain: here be buried treasures - 20 August
  • They?re not pretty, or easy to navigate, but online film archives are a huge free source of classics and curiosLast week?s summery dip into the internet?s cinematic back catalogue reminded me that it?s been a while since I did a more thorough trawl through a vast streaming resource that even cinephiles frequently seem to forget is there: that humble old standby, the public domain. More major vintage cinema than you might think has trickled through to the unglamorous realm of expired intellectual property rights, and lurks in assorted dusty corners of the web waiting to be discovered or rediscovered at no cost. As I?ve written before, YouTube houses a lot of them in varying states of picture and sound quality: hunting them down is generally not a game for highly particular, Criterion-collecting film buffs.But sometimes, when other avenues in search of a certain under-screened classic have run into dead ends, to see it in imperfect condition is better than to not see it at all, and online archives come to the rescue. A few years ago, I sang the praises of the Internet Archive, the somewhat fusty-looking but reliable granddaddy of all public domain collections, and it remains one of my regular fallbacks: its vast Movies section, features more than 23,000 videos ? 6,000 of them feature films ? and runs the gamut from Hollywood standards to lesser-known Charlie Chaplin shorts to second world war propaganda reels. Continue reading...
  • post 'Passing for white': how a taboo film genre is being revived to expose racial privilege - 20 August
  • Rebecca Hall?s directorial debut is an adaptation of Nella Larsen?s 1929 novel Passing, a theme little seen since the likes of Show Boat and PinkyHollywood once loved films about passing. The genre was popular in the 1940s and 50s, when segregation was rife and the ?one-drop rule? ? which deemed anybody with even a trace of African ancestry to be black ? prevailed. Box-office hits included Elia Kazan?s Pinky (1949) and George Sidney?s musical Show Boat (1951), which featured light-skinned, mixed-race characters who passed for white in the hopes of enjoying the privileges whiteness confers. The secrets, the scandal and the sheer sensationalism of it all made for excellent melodrama. Now Rebecca Hall, the star of Vicky Cristina Barcelona and Red Riding, is revisiting the genre with her directorial debut, an adaptation of Nella Larsen?s seminal 1929 novel Passing. Tessa Thompson and Ruth Negga will feature in the project, which tells the story of childhood friends, Clare Kendry and Irene Redfield, who are both light-skinned enough to pass for white but choose to live on opposite sides of the colour line. Continue reading...
  • post #MeToo leaders say Asia Argento abuse claim should not discredit movement - 21 August
  • As Weinstein?s lawyer lambasts ?hypocrisy? over new sexual assault allegation against Argento, feminists urge caution
    She was one of the loudest voices of the #MeToo movement, speaking up on behalf of survivors of sexual assault and promising that ?More pigs will be revealed?. But since a report in the New York Times on Sunday revealed that she is accused of being an abuser herself, Asia Argento has fallen silent.Now supporters of #MeToo are faced with a complicated question: what does the movement do with victims who may also be victimizers? Continue reading...
  • post Asia Argento: police investigate sexual assault claim against actor - 21 August
  • Authorities will speak to Jimmy Bennett after learning no police report was filed at time of alleged 2013 assault Police are looking into sexual assault allegations by a young actor against Italian actress Asia Argento ? one of the most prominent activists of the #MeToo movement. Related: #MeToo leaders say Asia Argento abuse claim should not discredit movement Continue reading...
  • post Scarlett Johansson tops list of highest-paid female film stars - 17 August
  • Avengers: Infinity War star earned $40.5m, surpassing Angelina Jolie and Jennifer Aniston, but is dwarfed by male counterpartsScarlett Johansson has been named as the world?s highest-paid female actor after earning $40.5m (Ł31.2m) in the year to June 2018.Johansson did not feature in Forbes magazine?s top 10 last year, and the actor?s newfound earning power has been ascribed to her role as Black Widow in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The second part of Avengers: Infinity War is due for release next spring. Continue reading...
  • post Emma Thompson: role as family court judge was 'great privilege' - 16 August
  • Actor tells of spending time ?backstage? in high court for her role in The Children ActEmma Thompson has said that spending time at the high court for her latest role in which she plays a family court judge was an extraordinary experience and ?one of the greatest privileges?.
    The actor plays a judge in The Children Act, an adaptation of Ian McEwan?s 2014 novel, in which her character has to decide whether Adam, a 17-year-old with leukaemia, should be forced to have potentially life-saving blood transfusions despite the procedure going against his religious beliefs as a Jehovah?s Witness. Continue reading...

* CinemaBlend

* Guardian - Film

* Recent Posts

Re: Count how many times you say OMG by Luce
[August 20, 2018, 04:24:51 AM]

Count how many times you say OMG by genie
[August 19, 2018, 04:15:13 PM]

Re: It's raining in Belgium by blueeyedbookworm
[August 14, 2018, 09:21:02 PM]

Mindhunter by genie
[August 14, 2018, 03:44:21 PM]

Re: It's raining in Belgium by Nath