* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 12
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Downloads for Forum Members

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 9
  • stats Total Posts: 9677
  • stats Total Topics: 1650
  • stats Total Categories: 4
  • stats Total Boards: 22
  • stats Most Online: 72

Resend activation code

Username or email:

If you registered with the wrong email address, type a new one and your password here.

New email address:
Old password:

If you already know your activation code, please type it here.

Activation code:

* BBC Films

* The Guardian (Film)

• post Jane Campion: ?Capitalism is such a macho force. I felt run over? - 20 May
  • One of the world?s most unconventional film-makers, Jane Campion talks about the end of the patriarchy, doing away with decorum, and how losing her baby son changed her foreverTwenty-five years ago this month, Jane Campion became the first, and so far the only, female director to win the Cannes film festival, with her wild gothic tale of repression and obsession, The Piano. When Campion broke through and was recognised as an auteur by her male peers ? with the Palme d?Or and three Oscars in her handbag ? feminists assumed that more women artists would follow in her wake. They were wrong.There was no great bursting of the financial and cultural dam that held back women film-makers. Instead their work filtered through in drips, excluded from directing blockbusters, and excluded from competition at Cannes and other festivals. ?I think we got caught in a complicated supplicancy, a very sophisticated supplicancy,? says Campion. Continue reading...
  • post Patricia Morison, star of Broadway and Hollywood, dies aged 103 - 20 May
  • Morison found fame in Kiss Me, Kate, The King and I and moreMovie roles included many femmes fatale and villainsPatricia Morison, who originated the role of an overemotional diva in the Broadway musical Kiss Me, Kate, starred on stage opposite Yul Brynner in The King and I and appeared in films with Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn, died on Sunday at the age of 103.
    Morison died of natural causes at her home in Los Angeles, publicist Harlan Boll said. Morison?s death was first reported by the Hollywood Reporter. Continue reading...
  • post Luc Besson under investigation over rape allegation - 20 May
  • French director denies ?fantasist accusations? that he drugged and raped womanFrench police are investigating the film director Luc Besson after a 27-year-old woman filed a rape complaint against him.The unnamed woman, a film actor, went to police on Friday morning alleging she had been raped by Besson, 59, in a Paris hotel on Thursday night. Continue reading...
  • post Cannes 2018: cheering ? if baffling ? set of prizes caps a curious year - 19 May
  • Hirokazu Kore-eda?s Shoplifters swiped the Palme d?Or from hotter tips but few could begrudge this masterful veteran of world cinema his time in the sunSo once again, the decisions of the Cannes jury are wildly different from the social-media-fuelled consensus of the Anglophone press, and certainly my own predictions were horribly wrong. It was disappointing that Cate Blanchett?s jury could find nothing for Lee Chang-dong?s brilliant mystery thriller Burning or for the Turkish director Nuri Bilge Ceylan and his deeply sympathetic and beautifully filmed homecoming fable The Wild Pear Tree. But there is something very satisfying about the Japanese director Hirokazu Kore-eda getting his Palme d?Or for the rich, and complex family drama Shoplifters. Related: Shoplifters review ? family of thieves steals moral high ground ? and hearts Continue reading...
  • post Animator Nora Twomey: ?Factory work was incredible training for my imagination? - 20 May
  • The director on leaving school at 15, working with Angelina Jolie on her first solo feature The Breadwinner, and fighting cancerNora Twomey is a 46-year-old Irish animator and co-founder of the revered, Kilkenny-based Cartoon Saloon. She was co-director, with Tomm Moore, of 2009?s The Secret of Kells and head of story on Song of the Sea (2014), both of which were nominated for Academy Awards. Her first solo feature, The Breadwinner, is set in Kabul in 2001 and follows a young girl who disguises herself as a boy to support her family after her father is arrested by the Taliban. That, too, made this year?s shortlist for best animated film at the Oscars ? not bad going for a woman who left school at 15 without completing her Leaving Certificate.The Breadwinner was originally a 2000 novel by Deborah Ellis ? you?ve said, after reading it, you felt compelled to make the film. What was it about the story that inspired that reaction?
    I?ve always been aware I have an incredibly privileged job, working in a small company that makes independent films. We?re not beholden to shareholders, we?re not trying to push merchandise, and that means we can tell stories that are a little bit different. So for me, reading the character of Parvana, it was so unusual to have a young girl at the heart of a story like this. And she was so full of love and passion, but she?s written in such a realistic way. She?s also very flawed, very human ? she fights with her older sister, she gets grumpy. So I guess as a mother as well, I felt excited at the idea of being able to put that on to the screen. Continue reading...
  • post Cannes 2018: A search for meaning on the Croisette - 19 May
  • As the final credits roll at this year?s film festival, a contentious lineup has left audiences with more questions than answersAt the closing stages of this year?s Cannes film festival the guests gather to watch Under the Silver Lake, a shaggy-dog tale that sends Andrew Garfield reeling across an LA suburb in thrall to cults and comic books and movie-star memorabilia. He has some urgent questions relating to a missing girl, the subliminal messages on his records, and some parrot-related mystery the exact details of which I?ve already forgotten. ?But what does it all mean?? he wails at one point, and the line sends ripples of laughter through the cinema.Ostensibly the audience is laughing at Under the Silver Lake (David Robert Mitchell?s follow-up to his excellent It Follows), which finally doesn?t amount to a hill of beans. But they?re also giggling at themselves and at the great, pressing question suddenly bellowed down from the screen. What does it all mean? Cannes grows weird during these dying days. The films turn confusing and the punters start flagging, and the boundaries between art and life have a tendency to break down. Every other old man on the street looks like Francis Ford Coppola, and the soldiers with assault rifles might possibly be actors in a publicity stunt. The programme is no help; it keeps messing with our heads. In one 36-hour spell it lays on screenings of a film called The Angel, a film called Angel Face and a third called Sorry Angel. If we catch the wrong one, will we even notice? Continue reading...
  • post Cannes 2018: unfancied Japanese film Shoplifters takes Palme d'Or - 19 May
  • Spike Lee and Jean-Luc Godard were also among the prizewinners at the 71st annual film festival
    In a surprise verdict, the Japanese film Shoplifters, directed by Hirokazu Kore-eda, has been awarded the Palme d?Or for main feature at the close of the Cannes film festival. ?The ending blew us out of the cinema,? said jury president Cate Blanchett.Beating a field of 21, including two or three titles that had been hotly tipped for the top by the critics, the film took the prestigious prize on Saturday night ahead of the screening of the final film of the festival, Terry Gilliam?s long-awaited adaptation of Cervantes, The Man Who Killed Don Quixote. Continue reading...
  • post Cannes 2018: Hirokazu Kore-eda's Shoplifters wins the Palme d'Or ? as it happened - 19 May
  • Spike Lee?s Trump-baiting comedy BlacKkKlansman takes runner-up grand jury prize, while Capernaum, by Lebanese director Nadine Labaki, comes in third 8.40pm BST Things are quieting down here, so I?ll be heading off. Pop over to Guardian film in the next hour or so for our full report on this year?s winners, as well as Peter Bradshaw?s reaction to the awards. Burning was snubbed, I say! Thanks and good night. 8.31pm BST So, after 71 editions of the film festival Jane Campion remains the only female director in Cannes history to have won the Palme d?Or. Given this year?s jury was female-majority, we?re unlikely to hear as much criticism over the decision to not reward a female director as we have in recent years. However, there remains a pretty striking disparity between men and women here, one underlined by the red carpet protest that took place last weekend, and which you can read about here: Related: Cate Blanchett and Kristen Stewart join silent women's protest on Cannes red carpet Continue reading...
  • post The Happytime Murders: Melissa McCarthy snorts ecstasy with puppets in Henson comedy trailer - 18 May
  • The star teams up with A Muppet Christmas Carol director Brian Henson for raucous new film The Happytime MurdersMelissa McCarthy has teamed up with Jim Henson?s son for the dark new comedy The Happytime Murders. Related: Life of the Party review ? Melissa McCarthy's college comedy fails the grade Continue reading...
  • post Whitney Houston: film alleges singer sexually abused as a child by Dee Dee Warwick - 17 May
  • Kevin Macdonald?s documentary, which has premiered at Cannes and has the backing of the singer?s family, alleges Houston was abused by her cousin, the late sister of Dionne WarwickA new documentary about the life of Whitney Houston alleges that the singer was sexually abused as a child by her cousin the soul musician Dee Dee Warwick.
    Whitney, which is directed by the Scottish film-maker Kevin Macdonald, premiered at the Cannes film festival on Thursday. Described as the definitive story of the global superstar, the film features interviews with many of Houston?s relatives and close acquaintances, two of whom make the claims against Warwick. Continue reading...

* CinemaBlend

* Guardian - Film

* Recent Posts

How to Survive - Interesting point of view. by genie
[May 20, 2018, 06:44:58 PM]

North and South today by genie
[May 20, 2018, 02:57:17 PM]

Manhattan Love Story by genie
[May 20, 2018, 11:08:35 AM]

Speaking of Handsome Men actors by genie
[May 20, 2018, 10:34:41 AM]

Re: Did anyone watch "The Woman in White"? by Luce