* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 20
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Downloads for Forum Members

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 11
  • stats Total Posts: 9861
  • stats Total Topics: 1681
  • stats Total Categories: 4
  • stats Total Boards: 22
  • stats Most Online: 72

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Coming Soon / Re: The Crown
« Last post by Luce on July 17, 2018, 02:05:09 PM »
 :fav309:

I love this show!
General / Re: We're currently under the spell of King Football
« Last post by Luce on July 17, 2018, 02:02:09 PM »
It's a good thing those guys play on grass. lol
« Last post by genie on July 16, 2018, 05:29:30 PM »
Ok, Girls..... Law 12.  Wish we'd seen this a month ago.

Coming Soon / Re: The Crown
« Last post by genie on July 16, 2018, 05:10:44 PM »
Thanks, DCM
Coming Soon / The Crown
« Last post by DCM on July 16, 2018, 11:27:12 AM »
The makers of the Crown have just released the first photo of Olivia Coleman as the queen in the next series of The Crown:

« Last post by DCM on July 16, 2018, 11:25:52 AM »
I have to say, I am SO glad that the World Cup is over!

With every football tournament, the news coverage here is unbearable. It's always about how great the English team are and how they're going to win, even when there is plenty of evidence to the contrary!
And even when there are bigger events and political happenings, football (and how awesome England are) are always the top item on news programs.

Give me rugby any day! Much more interesting to watch and much less hooligans amongst the fans!
« Last post by Nath on July 16, 2018, 05:44:17 AM »

Nath, we will drag you kicking and screaming into world sports, one way or another.  LOL  I bet you watch the Winter Olympics.
peelaugh:
I don't mind! You are right, I sometimes watch winter games: skate racing, ski jumping, biatlon  (do not remember the right terms).
« Last post by blueeyedbookworm on July 15, 2018, 03:30:24 PM »
BEB, I don't understand even football to the full! When is it off-side and when not? When is it foul play? I watch with Hermy but I'm jigsawing while watching. LOL

You and me both! I'm starting to get just a little bit of a sense for what's a foul and what's not, but I've got a very long way to go...I really only understand the bare minimum. Just enough to make it interesting enough to watch, haha. Although every time the World Cup rolls around, I find myself wanting to get into it a little more and learn more about it! One of these times...
« Last post by genie on July 15, 2018, 12:27:31 PM »
Disregard the American making some comment, but watch the acting.

« Last post by genie on July 15, 2018, 12:20:31 PM »
BEB, I don't understand even football to the full! When is it off-side and when not? When is it foul play? I watch with Hermy but I'm jigsawing while watching. LOL

Nath, thanks, the Russian team was also good, and I thought they should have got further.

All in all, I'm glad it's over. Too much sports on the TV! Don't forget we have nox the Tour de France everyday, too!

And Wimbledon ...

I understand all American sports, even including boxing.  I know all about American football, baseball, basketball, plus hockey.

I don't quite have the Eu football (soccer to us) down yet. Their positions, what they can and cannot do.  Two of the things I admire most are the way they time the game and when the ball goes out of bounds, the opposing team can just go get it and throw it in.
But most of all the ACTING that goes on the field as they try to sell their fake injury to the referee is hysterical. That's almost worth the ticket.

Great to hear you came out 3rd, Luce.... very respectful finish. 

Nath, we will drag you kicking and screaming into world sports, one way or another.  LOL  I bet you watch the Winter Olympics.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

* BBC Films

* The Guardian (Film)

• post Rebecca Ferguson on Mission: Impossible ? ?Tom says he makes the films for the audience. I don?t? - 19 July
  • Now on the brink of superstardom, the actor talks about working with Tom Cruise, and admits that The Snowman movie may not have been much good ? but Michael Fassbender?s on-set fart jokes were fantasticRebecca Ferguson is drinking tea in the restaurant of a London hotel. In a dark blue jacket festooned with tiny gold stars, her brunette hair scraped back from her face, she looks perkier than anyone who gave birth six weeks ago has any right to. The 34-year-old Swedish-British actor has been perfectly decent in decent films (such as Florence Foster Jenkins), better than necessary in trashy ones (The Girl on the Train, Life) and has even emerged unscathed from a bomb (The Snowman). But it is her performance as Ilsa Faust, a daredevil secret agent in the new Mission: Impossible film and its predecessor, that has nudged her from the ranks of the interesting to the brink of stardom. Her compelling coolness threatens to outshine her costar, Tom Cruise. Indeed, her opening scenes in the latest instalment, Mission: Impossible ? Fallout, and the 2015 Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation, both show her saving his bacon.?Oh my gosh. You?re right!? she gasps. ?I save him both times. I didn?t realise. Though I do remember Chris [McQuarrie, the writer-director] and Tom saying throughout Rogue Nation that every entrance for Ilsa needed to be significant and important. Tom wanted to create an equal for his character, Ethan. He?s bloody cool and strong, but also vulnerable. Ilsa has those qualities, too.? It?s notable that their relationship, while dramatically charged, is powered by mutual fascination and respect, rather than romance. ?These are people with a genuine equality between them.? Continue reading...
  • post 'I want everyone to be happy': how Rob Reiner became a great director ? and a political hero - 19 July
  • The maker of This Is Spinal Tap, Stand By Me and When Harry Met Sally ? also campaigned successfully for same-sex marriage. He talks love, friendship and the moment Nora Ephron revealed that women fake orgasmsI didn?t have what he was having but my lunch with Rob Reiner, director of When Harry Met Sally ? and so much more, left me with a bigger smile on my face than a working lunch should. People say you should never meet your heroes, but Reiner is one of my heroes and, in this instance, the people are wrong.As a director, Reiner had one of the longest, and most golden, runs in history: This Is Spinal Tap, The Sure Thing, Stand By Me, The Princess Bride, When Harry Met Sally ?, Misery, A Few Good Men. With his production company, Castle Rock Entertainment, he helped produce many of the most enduring films of their time: In the Line of Fire, City Slickers, The Shawshank Redemption, Lone Star, Miss Congeniality. If you grew up in the 80s and 90s, and went to the movies a lot, both of which I did, few people will have shaped your cultural landscape as much as Reiner. Continue reading...
  • post The 10 best Hugh Grant films ? ranked! - 19 July
  • From the ridiculously beautiful lead in Maurice, which is about to be re-released, to the foppish lovefool in Four Weddings, the smirking seducer in Bridget Jones?s Diary and the menacing role in Paddington 2, Grant is irresistibleEasy to dismiss this as another Grant romcom (like that?s a bad thing?), but Music and Lyrics features the Greatest onscreen musical number ever, and I?m including the entire oeuvres of Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly in that. Grant plays a former 80s pop star and the video of his hit, PoP! Goes My Heart, is the moment cinema peaked. Best song ever, officially. Continue reading...
  • post Hugh Jackman superhero film Logan most complained-about film of 2017 - 19 July
  • BBFC?s worst offender list topped by X-Men spin-off, Indian epic Padmaavat and violent Charlize Theron spy romp Atomic BlondeLogan, Hugh Jackman?s third Wolverine spin-off from the X-Men film series, was the most complained-about film at UK cinemas in 2017.The British Board of Film Classification (BBFC), which administers the cinema ratings system, issued its annual report on Thursday in which it said 20 complaints were received about the film, which it had given a 15 certificate. (This compares with the 51 complaints received in 2016 for Deadpool, and 40 the year before for Spectre.) Continue reading...
  • post Brad Pitt, Matt Damon and Leonardo DiCaprio turned down Brokeback Mountain - 19 July
  • Original director Gus Van Sant has revealed that multiple A-listers turned down the chance to star in the gay romanceLeonardo DiCaprio, Brad Pitt, Matt Damon and Ryan Phillippe were among the actors who turned down roles in Brokeback Mountain, the gay romance that catapulted Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal to stardom. Gus Van Sant, the director who has frequently collaborated with Damon, revealed in an interview with IndieWire that the film ? about two two men hired to herd sheep in Wyoming ? proved strikingly challenging to cast. ?Nobody wanted to do it,? said Van Sant. ?I was working on it, and I felt like we needed a really strong cast, like a famous cast. That wasn?t working out. I asked the usual suspects: Leonardo DiCaprio, Brad Pitt, Matt Damon, Ryan Phillippe. They all said no.? Continue reading...
  • post A Prayer Before Dawn review ? Thai jail drama packs a terrifying punch - 19 July
  • Joe Cole plays a British boxer fighting for survival among the inmates of a Bangkok hellhole in this grisly, visceral and often unwatchably brutal biopicTraditionally, boxing is the way out of the ghetto, or the way into a central core of toxic masculinity ? and then redemptively out of it. In this movie, it is the route to a safer, fractionally more prestigious, marginally less violent part of a Thai jail: the Klong Prem central prison in Bangkok. This is the true story of Billy Moore, a guy from Liverpool who got involved in drugs and burglary, tried to restart his life in Thailand as a boxer and stuntman, but was arrested there in 2005 for gun offences and sentenced to three years in this authentically terrifying place. He earned respect for mastering Muay Thai boxing, and was finally released in a royal amnesty in 2010 to serve the rest of his term in the UK. He was convicted again this summer for burglary. Related: Joe Cole: ?I was ready to deliver a kicking? Continue reading...
  • post George Michael-inspired 'holiday romance' film Last Christmas in the works - 19 July
  • Screenplay co-written by Emma Thompson, due to be directed by Paul Feig, was developed with the Wham! singer before his deathLast Christmas, a ?holiday romance set in London? co-scripted by Emma Thompson and Bryony Kimmings and recently acquired by Hollywood studio Universal, was inspired by the 1984 Wham! hit written by George Michael. The script was developed with Michael?s participation until his death in 2016.In an interview with Radio Times, Kimmings said: ?When I came on board, George was up for it. He?d already signed something to say yes, but he?d passed away.? Continue reading...
  • post Ryan Gosling astronaut biopic First Man picked to open Venice film festival - 19 July
  • Damien Chazelle?s film about Neil Armstong will premiere in Italy, with Alfonso Cuarón?s Roma chosen for New York film festival galaFirst Man, a biopic of the pioneering astronaut Neil Armstrong starring Ryan Gosling and directed by Damien Chazelle, has been confirmed as the opening film of the 2018 Venice film festival.The slot is a highly prized, high-profile one, especially in Hollywood after a string of recent Venice openers ? including La La Land, Birdman and Gravity ? have gone on to Oscar glory. First Man stars Gosling as Armstrong, a former navy pilot who became the first man to walk on the moon during the 1969 Apollo 11 space mission. It will be Gosling?s second film in quick succession with Chazelle after La La Land; Gosling has a habit of repeat collaborations, having worked with Nicolas Winding Refn on Drive and Only God Forgives, and Derek Cianfrance on Blue Valentine and The Place Beyond the Pines. Continue reading...
  • post 68% rotten: female critics outnumbered two to one by male counterparts - 18 July
  • A San Diego State University study of Rotten Tomatoes reveals that male critics are less likely to mention female directors than their female writers areA new study has found that male film critics outnumber female by two to one, and are less likely to mention female directors in their work.Men comprise 68% of US-based film reviewers, according to a report by Martha M Lauzen that was published by the Center for the Study of Women in Television and Film at San Diego State University. The research pool examined reviewers whose work was included on the aggregator site Rotten Tomatoes in spring 2018. It comprised more than 4,000 reviews written by 341 contributors in print, broadcast and online. The new figures mark a marginal improvement over the last two years: In 2016, the same author reported a disparity of 73% to 27%. Continue reading...
  • post Spectator removes Harvey Weinstein quotes from interview - 17 July
  • Interviewer says he may have misrepresented conversation with movie producerThe Spectator has formally retracted quotes it attributed to Harvey Weinstein, in which the disgraced former film mogul allegedly admitted to offering acting jobs in exchange for sex, in addition to deleting an unrelated description of Weinstein attempting to hit on women at a Christmas party.The interview, by regular columnist and friend of Weinstein?s Taki Theodoracopulos, was live for several days after it was called into question after its publication on Friday. In the piece, the film producer responded to multiple accusations of sexual assault that could result in him being sent to prison. Continue reading...

* CinemaBlend

* Guardian - Film

* Recent Posts

Re: The Crown by Luce
[July 17, 2018, 02:05:09 PM]

Re: We're currently under the spell of King Football by Luce
[July 17, 2018, 02:02:09 PM]

Re: We're currently under the spell of King Football by genie
[July 16, 2018, 05:29:30 PM]

Re: The Crown by genie
[July 16, 2018, 05:10:44 PM]

The Crown by DCM