* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 15
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Downloads for Forum Members

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13
  • stats Total Posts: 8945
  • stats Total Topics: 1476
  • stats Total Categories: 4
  • stats Total Boards: 24
  • stats Most Online: 62

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Hobbit star Richard Armitage's Irish film made him sick to his stomach - here's why...

He’s the star of big budget epics like The Hobbit and the upcoming Ocean’s Eight with Sandra Bullock and Rihanna, but all Richard Armitage wants is to make a movie about 19th century witchcraft in Ireland. It may sound like a leap, but it’s nothing for an actor who has turned his hand to everything from musicals to Shakespeare to his new role as sadistic medieval knight Raymond De Merville in new period thriller Pilgrimage.

A tale of obsession and vengeance, Pilgrimage follows a group of Irish monks as they attempt to bring a sacred stone relic to Rome in 1209. Unfortunately for them, they run into De Merville, who wants to seize the holy stone for himself and is prepared to go to any lengths to get it, as one particularly grisly torture scene proves.

Pilgrimage is shot partly on location in Ireland, and Richard (45) says he fell in love with the west coast and can’t wait to return. “We were largely out in Connemara and while the first few days with no phone signal were a bit frustrating, I just thought, ‘Stop trying your phone and start enjoying the amazing food, the incredible skies, driving around the little roads, the sunsets!’

“It’s such an amazing place to shoot, I hope to come back and film again in Ireland very soon. I read a script set in Ireland 15 years ago and I basically became obsessed with it. Hopefully we’ll start filming it soon.” The script is for a film called Bridget Cleary, the true story of the last woman in Ireland to be burned as a witch in 1895. 26-year-old Bridget was burned to death in her sick bed by her husband, who insisted she wasn’t his wife at all but instead was a changeling left by the witches. Her killer husband, Michael Cleary, grabbed Richard’s attention.

Richard hopes to film in Ireland again next year

“I think the story is not about the outside world at all, it’s about a man floored by his own paranoia.” He didn’t pick up a cupla focail while in Ireland — “Absolutely nothing! I was always enchanted by the sound of the Irish language, but I picked up none” — but the Hannibal star may just be one of our own. “I believe I do have Irish roots. My mother traced our family tree, we thought we were originally from eastern Europe, but there are Irish roots there. For one thing, where my father is from in the north of England, so many people have red hair and blue eyes, there has to be Irish blood there.”

Richard’s clearly not afraid to go to dark places for his art - he was waterboarded for real as part of his performance in BBC drama Spooks - and in Pilgrimage, his character tortures a monk by using a primitive weapon to yank out the man’s intestines. “For the torture scene, the special effects team were spectacular,” he says. “They made an entire intestine out of sausages, when I pulled it out it made such a realistic squelching sound I threw up a little in my mouth. You can actually see it on screen, he looks like he’s disgusted by his actions.”

It seems only fitting that De Merville meets a grisly end later on in the film. “For the death scene, we had just half an hour of light left,” Richard says, “and the prosthetic girls had to put a special neck on me with a prosthetic pump to shoot out the blood, so in the end we had just five minutes to do the shoot — thank goodness we’d rehearsed! It made me sick to my stomach but I had to be truthful to the reality of the time.”

He’s not the only big star to appear in Pilgrimage. Richard shares the screen with Tom Holland, who plays Spider-Man in the new Marvel reboot Spider-Man: Homecoming. He reveals they were filming together when Tom, 21, auditioned for the role, and says he was never in any doubt his young friend would make a terrific web-slinging superhero. “Tom was fantastic. He was auditioning for Spider-Man at the time we were filming but he wasn’t just waiting around to hear back, like many actors do, he was so positive about it. He is a gymnast and an incredible acrobat and he was great to work with, I know he’ll be fantastic in the role.”

Next up for Richard is Ocean’s Eight, the all-female reboot of the crime caper series. Starring Sandra Bullock, Cate Blanchett, Helena Bonham Carter, Anne Hathaway and Rihanna, it’s a film Richard is proud to be part of. “Ocean’s Eight was incredible to film, it came very quickly and out of nowhere. To work with those people, idols I’ve looked up to for years, was fantastic, and I’m a big fan of the Ocean’s series. I play a role that’s dark and funny at the same time, it was a lot of fun.”

It’s just the latest step in a career that’s covered everything from live theatre to small screen drama to Hollywood blockbusters. But while switching between characters like Thorin Oakenshield in The Hobbit to convicted witch John Proctor in award-winning stage production The Crucible has done wonders for his career, Richard laughingly admits it hasn’t always helped his bank balance. “I always chose roles by going for something I’ve never done before, whereas most people want you to keep doing the same thing. It’s great as an artist but it’s less fruitful for your bank account! But I’ve always chased the role over the financial side.”

buzz article
Coming Soon / The Shape of Water - Fairy Tale - Dec 08,2017
« Last post by genie on July 19, 2017, 05:09:01 PM »
 An other-worldly fairy tale, set against the backdrop of Cold War era America circa 1963. In the hidden high-security government laboratory where she works, lonely Elisa (Sally Hawkins) is trapped in a life of silence and isolation. Elisa's life is changed forever when she and co-worker Zelda (Octavia Spencer) discover a secret classified experiment.
Director: Guillermo del Toro

Coming Soon / The Greatest Showman - Dec 25, 2017
« Last post by genie on July 19, 2017, 04:55:25 PM »
You should full-screen this one.

Piffle, Whimsy and Games / Re: Going to Scotland
« Last post by Luce on July 17, 2017, 12:30:21 PM »
We've boarded our ferry. The weather is warm and sunny - yes, Oso, you read correctly.
For Wednesday, the forecast is rain, unfortunately.

Genie, I know Douglas and the Shetland series very well from BBC One. I like it extremely well.
« Last post by genie on July 17, 2017, 09:50:52 AM »
« Last post by genie on July 17, 2017, 09:47:18 AM »
Say hello to Douglas Henshaw. Tell him he's got a fan in the US. It's possible they may be filming right now, as season 4 is due sometime in 2017. Even though he was born in the UK, his Scotish accent is every bit as heavy as the others in the show.

Shetland

Airs on: United Kingdom BBC One (2013 - now)
Schedule: Sundays at 21:00 (60 min)
Show Type: Scripted
Genres: Drama Crime Mystery
Episodes ordered: 6 episodes

« Last post by Luce on July 17, 2017, 01:18:37 AM »
Lucky you.

Are you going to Skye?

There's a Shetland mystery I watch when it's on.  Very lovely place. Thier accents sound very heavy out there.

I was on Skye in 2012 when we first visited Scotland. Skye was one of the loveliest places I've ever seen. It's west of mainland Scotland, while Shetland and the Orkneys are quite far northeast. We are on the ferry from Aberdeen for fourteen hours before we reach Lerwick, Shetland's  capital.
Coming Soon / Re: Nath - this is for you
« Last post by genie on July 16, 2017, 04:26:33 PM »
That would be excellent.
Coming Soon / Re: Nath - this is for you
« Last post by Nath on July 16, 2017, 04:05:05 PM »
Wow, this is really dark! Especially the second movie!
Genie, I have not watched either on them. Maybe some day, when I feel ready for horrors!   zombie2

LOL.  I've just never seen any horrors come out of Russia.  You have a great epic coming though.  I hope they put it out with subtitles for those of language-challenge people.  I'll find it, but it isn't the one below.

'VIKING' TRAILER  I think I would watch this one.

I hope this new horror movies will be up to the international standards. As for dubbing - nowadays they've managed to bring it to perfection. Usually even the voiced fit perfectly well. So in case the movies are good, they must be dubbed, not with subtitles.
« Last post by Oso on July 16, 2017, 10:18:05 AM »
I went to the Orkney Islands!  Be sure to visit Twatt! 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

* BBC Films

* The Guardian (Film)

• post City of Ghosts director Matthew Heineman: 'Imagine seeing people crucified ? every day' - 21 July
  • Their families have been killed, they live in hiding, but a brave group of Syrians continue to defy Islamic State by reporting its atrocities to the world. The director of a new documentary explains how he told their shocking storiesThe most remarkable scene in Matthew Heineman?s new film City of Ghosts ? indeed, possibly the most remarkable scene in any documentary you?re likely to see this year ? takes place in an unfurnished German apartment. Hamoud al-Mousa, a founder member of the citizen journalist group Raqqa is Being Slaughtered Silently (RBSS) sits staring at a laptop, watching a video of his father?s murder at the hands of Islamic State militants. The killing has been filmed in the manner of a Michael Bay movie, bombastic and slickly edited. It is intended to strike fear into Hamoud ? and any others willing to expose the many atrocities committed by the terrorist group. Hamoud however refuses to be cowed. ?I watch the video a lot. It gives me strength,? he says.Hamoud?s fortitude in the face of such brutality will come as no surprise to anyone familiar with the work of RBSS. Formed initially to document the assault carried out by the Assad regime on their home city, the group turned their attention to Isis when the group took control of Raqqa in 2014 and declared it the capital of their new caliphate. Since then RBSS has, through social media postings and cameraphone footage, shone a light on a regime that is out of reach of western journalists. They have done so at enormous personal cost: several members of the group have been executed, as well as friends and family members. Hamoud?s father is just one of many victims. Continue reading...
  • post Dick Van Dyke sorry for 'atrocious cockney accent' in Mary Poppins - 21 July
  • US actor apologises more than half century after ?inflicting most atrocious cockney accent in history of cinema? in Disney filmDick Van Dyke has apologised for the ?most atrocious cockney accent in the history of cinema? more than half a century after his role in the 1964 Disnery classic Mary Poppins.The US actor played chimney-sweep Bert in the film, and has been the subject of much teasing from fans about his famously off-radar accent. Continue reading...
  • post Dunkirk: power, patriotism and Harry Styles on screen ? discuss with spoilers - 21 July
  • Does Dunkirk?s claustrophobic intensity earn it a place in the pantheon of war movies? Should we read it as a Brexit allegory? And how did the boyband singer turned actor do?This article contains spoilers
    It has been hailed by Guardian critics as Christopher Nolan?s best film so far and the movie that sees the director of Inception and The Dark Knight finally live up to the comparisons with Stanley Kubrick. Indeed, Dunkirk currently boasts a rating of 94% ?fresh? on the review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, suggesting genuine Oscar potential.But does it really rank as one of the all-time great war movies? And what did you think of Harry Styles? acting? Here?s a chance to give your verdict on the film?s key talking points. Continue reading...
  • post Water and Sugar: Carlo Di Palma, the Colours of Life review ? radiant tribute to a cinematic maestro - 21 July
  • Cinema?s magic is the running theme of this warm documentary about the life and works of visionary cinematographer Carlo Di Palma Related: Obituary: Carlo Di Palma The cinematographer Carlo Di Palma is the subject of this intelligent and deeply cinephile documentary tribute presented by his widow, Adriana Chiesa (Di Palma died in 2004). It?s a film to remind you of the almost miraculously collaborative nature of cinema, but also the radiant personalities of individuals. Continue reading...
  • post Bryan Cranston: ?I would go to malls, sit near arguing couples and watch them? - 20 July
  • The Breaking Bad star?s new film Wakefield is a study of a man who vanishes, only to spy on his grieving family. Would his years of pre-fame voyeurism come in handy?Hi, Bryan. Where are you today?
    I am calling all the way from Chiswick. We could have done this over tea.Why are you in Chiswick?
    One of the things I?d done, just after the end of Breaking Bad, was to create a production company to produce television projects. One of my projects is called Philip K Dick?s Electric Dreams. [1] We?re shooting here in London. We have five episodes and I?m acting in one of the episodes. It?s an anthology series. Continue reading...
  • post Dunkirk and City of Ghosts: this week?s best films in the UK - 21 July
  • Christopher Nolan delivers a visceral war epic, while brave citizens in Isis?s ?capital? risk their lives to shed light on the treatment of the city and its people Nolan marshals the troops, the fleet and the Spitfires but strips out the dialogue and bombast to create a war epic like no other. Solemnly viewing the Dunkirk evacuations from three intersecting perspectives, it?s an intense, visceral experience, enhanced by non-CGI action and a throbbing score. The star cast ? including Tom Hardy, Mark Rylance and Harry Styles ? almost disappear in the mayhem. Continue reading...
  • post Big-budget films receive increase in tax relief to almost £600m - 21 July
  • Treasury also paid £150m to TV shows that pass ?cultural test? to qualify as British in scheme to encourage creative enterprises The government paid out almost £600m in tax relief last year to the makers of blockbusters including Baby Driver, Star Wars and T2: Trainspotting, as well as big-budget TV dramas including The Crown.The payouts were part of £751m that the Treasury awarded in tax relief to films, high-end dramas, video games, animations, children?s TV shows and theatre productions that passed a ?cultural test? that qualified them as British. Continue reading...
  • post War for the Planet of the Apes shows its simian strength at UK box office - 18 July
  • Despicable Me and Spider-Man franchises fight for second place, while indie darling The Beguiled shows big ambition at cinemasFor the fourth weekend in a row, a film with blockbuster ambition has arrived at the top of the UK box office, with War for the Planet of the Apes landing in the wake of Spider-Man: Homecoming (5 July), Despicable Me 3 (30 June) and Transformers: The Last Knight (22 June). The latest Apes film has begun with a solid £5.22m, and £7.20m including previews for Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Continue reading...
  • post Deadpool tops 2016 list of most complained about films - 18 July
  • Superhero romp?s bloody violence, strong language and sex references generated 51 complaints, outgunning 40 received by Spectre in 2015 Deadpool, the horribly violent, disgustingly crude and, for many people, very funny superhero romp, was the film which last year generated the most complaints to Britain?s film censors.The 2016 annual report of the British Board of Film Classification reveals that the Marvel movie received 51 complaints. That was followed by Suicide Squad with 30 and Miss Peregrine?s Home for Peculiar Children with 20. Continue reading...
  • post George A Romero, 'father of the zombie film', dies at 77 ? video - 17 July
  • The director George A Romero died on Sunday aged 77. Romero, who was born in New York, began his career as a commercial director before finding his calling in horror films. His first foray into zombie horror was the 1968 cult classic Night of the Living Dead. The film?s success led to a long-running series of zombie horror films and won Romero the title ?father of the zombie film? George A Romero, Night of the Living Dead director, dies aged 77
    Continue reading...

* CinemaBlend

* Guardian - Film

* Recent Posts

Hobbit star Richard Armitage's Irish film made him sick to his stomach - here's by genie
[July 20, 2017, 10:39:40 AM]

The Shape of Water - Fairy Tale - Dec 08,2017 by genie
[July 19, 2017, 05:09:01 PM]

The Greatest Showman - Dec 25, 2017 by genie
[July 19, 2017, 04:55:25 PM]

Re: Going to Scotland by Luce
[July 17, 2017, 12:30:21 PM]

Re: Going to Scotland by genie
[July 17, 2017, 09:50:52 AM]

Re: Going to Scotland by genie
[July 17, 2017, 09:47:18 AM]

* Calendar