genie@cfl.rr.com Top 10 Facts About AMERICA That Make NO SENSE to Anyone Else

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 19
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Downloads for Forum Members

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 9
  • stats Total Posts: 10838
  • stats Total Topics: 1875
  • stats Total Categories: 6
  • stats Total Boards: 33
  • stats Most Online: 92

Author Topic: Top 10 Facts About AMERICA That Make NO SENSE to Anyone Else  (Read 505 times)

genie

• Monarch
  • Royalty
  • oof!

Luce

• Royalty
  • I've never been so happy in all my life...
Re: Top 10 Facts About AMERICA That Make NO SENSE to Anyone Else
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 09:53:14 AM »
OMG!

I had a little trouble believing all that. If this is true, I pity you, guys!

Armed toddlers was what trouble me the most. Who is wacko enough to give a child a real gun?
QUEEN UNDER THE MOUNTAIN

Oso

• Royalty
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 12:31:12 PM »
Well, that is embarrassing.  LOL

I got my first handgun as a toddler, didn’t you receive your first gun at that age too Genie?!  By the time I hit preschool I was toting a sawed off shotgun. Had to be since the barrel would’ve been too long for a 4 year old to tote in my school bag. By the time I was in high school we all had machine guns...

Where do they get these statistics?!   :fav204:

genie

• Monarch
  • Royalty
  • oof!
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 03:41:18 PM »
It's on the internet so it must be true.

Luce, that one bothered me too.  I have NEVER heard of such a statistic.  Somewhere we must have a death row for toddlers, I guess.

There was a couple of other ones which I thought were a bit over the top.

I was going to add another one here about what would happen if California seceded from the USA.  I'm afraid there would no living with Oso after watching that one.

Luce

• Royalty
  • I've never been so happy in all my life...
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 02:52:50 AM »
Please, please, Oso, don't LEAVE!!!! LOL

I wonder if he has a video about what happens when the UK leaves the EU without a proper trade deal? A no-deal Brexit, in other words.
QUEEN UNDER THE MOUNTAIN

* BBC Films

* The Guardian (Film)

• post Are horror's audience-baiting puzzles detracting from the plot? - 17 June
  • Both Brightburn and Midsommar leave clues for fans to follow, but there?s a danger it?s leading them down a rabbit holeLooking to establish an evil horror cult? The first thing you will need is a good graphics department. It used to be that a trusty pentangle or inverted crucifix would do the trick, but in our branding-conscious age, horror movies must try harder. It seems no modern-day chiller is complete without its bespoke symbol, usually signifying an ancient secret society or some other form of unspeakable, but easily drawable, evil. Something that would look good on a T-shirt.Recent history is garlanded with examples: The Blair Witch Project?s ?stick man?; the similar design in Ben Wheatley?s Kill List. Sinister gave us the ?Bughuul? symbol; Devil?s Due the Antichrist gateway; and 13 Ghosts a selection of ?Black Zodiac? signs. This week, we?ve got Brightburn. This fusion of Superman and The Omen centres on a strangely powerful boy-who-fell-to-Earth called Brandon. He creates his own logo: a double diamond based on his initials. He?s so proud of it that he scribbles it in notebooks, on windows and at the scene of his crimes. Continue reading...
  • post The Wizard of Oz at 80: how the world fell under its dark spell - 17 June
  • The 1939 classic has inspired everyone from David Lynch to Salman Rushdie. Novelist and super-fan Luiza Sauma explores why the film?s message about home still holds such power
    Eighty years ago, in the summer of 1939, 16-year-old Judy Garland appeared on cinema screens as the orphan Dorothy Gale, dreaming of escape from bleak, monochrome Kansas. ?Find yourself a place where you won?t get into any trouble,? her aunt beseeches, too busy for poor old Dorothy, who soon breaks into song: ?Somewhere, over the rainbow, skies are blue / And the dreams that you dare to dream really do come true?. Her wish is soon granted by a tornado that carries her to the gaudy, Technicolor Land of Oz, instilling her as an icon for misfits, migrants, gay kids, dreamers ? anyone who has ever wanted to run away.More than 40 years later, The Wizard of Oz was one of the first films I watched as a toddler in Rio de Janeiro, on my dad?s Super 8 projector. My parents were already dreaming of their own escape to London, where we would go a few years later. They hadn?t been born when the film was released, a few days before the start of the second world war, though by then my mother?s Jewish parents were building a life in Rio, their own Oz, far away from Poland ? a land that would turn out to be far bleaker than Kansas. My grandparents were homesick, not quite settled, for the rest of their lives. Unlike Dorothy, they couldn?t click their heels together and magic themselves back. Home didn?t exist any more; it was a memory, an idea, a receptacle for feelings of loss. Continue reading...
  • post Streaming: Scorsese's freewheeling Dylan doc - 17 June
  • Martin Scorsese is in playful mode with Rolling Thunder Revue, an intimate portrait of a 1970s Bob Dylan tourIn a year that has seen Steven Spielberg become the poster boy for anti-Netflix scepticism, his old peer Martin Scorsese is fully embracing the possibilities. In the autumn, his much-hyped, big-budget gangster film The Irishman will be released on the streaming service, but the 76-year-old has dipped a toe in the water with something a little smaller and funkier: another Bob Dylan documentary. I say ?another?, but if you?re expecting a direct follow-up to Scorsese?s 2005 opus No Direction Home, or a concert film in the vein of 1978?s Dylan-featuring The Last Waltz, you?ll be surprised.Rolling Thunder Revue: A Bob Dylan Story, which has been streaming on Netflix since Wednesday, is something more puckish and, well, freewheeling than any of Scorsese?s previous music docs ? the word ?story?, for starters, shouldn?t be disregarded: there?s a bit of fabrication here amid the facts. Ostensibly, it?s a portrait of Dylan?s famous seven-month Rolling Thunder Revue concert tour from 1975 to 1976, which saw him ? alongside a rotating coterie of friends and collaborators ? perform in a series of smaller venues in smaller US cities, fostering an intimacy between artist and audience that he felt was lost in rock stadiums. And much of the unhurried 140-minute film delivers on that promise, in a jangly, haphazardly structured fashion that effectively evokes the cheerfully ragged ambience of the concerts themselves. Continue reading...
  • post Sylvia Miles obituary - 16 June
  • Oscar-nominated stage and screen actor best known for her roles in Midnight Cowboy and Farewell, My LovelyA mere six minutes of screen-time in John Schlesinger?s 1969 counter-cultural hit Midnight Cowboy was all it took to land Sylvia Miles her first Oscar nomination. For the 1975 adaptation of Raymond Chandler?s Farewell, My Lovely, which brought her second Oscar nod, she still failed to clock up more than 10 minutes on screen. But then Miles, who has died aged 94, knew how to make every second count, filling her life as well as her performances with incident and vitality.Midnight Cowboy demonstrated her extraordinary way with character, conveying the depth of a complex life in a handful of concentrated gestures. Briskly applying her lipstick in the mirror, she is oblivious to the awkward attempts by the greenhorn hustler Joe (Jon Voight) to broach the subject of payment after sex. Continue reading...
  • post Franco Zeffirelli was a master charmer - no wonder we all fell for his Romeo and Juliet - 15 June
  • His take on Shakespeare?s tragedy tapped the zeitgeist, but Zeffirelli?s whole body of work pulsated with an irresistible camp and romanticismFranco Zeffirelli was the mainstream maestro of high culture on screens big and small who dashingly made his international movie reputation with an exuberant and accessible adaptation of Romeo and Juliet in 1968; this had some pretty trad doublet-and-hose stuff and featured the syrupy ?Love? theme composed for the film by Nino Rota which was to become notorious as the music for Simon Bates?s regular tearjerking Our Tune feature on Radio One.But there were also muscular and athletic performances from a bright-eyed young cast, vigorous and enjoyable playing all round and bold location work. The year before, Zeffirelli had directed Richard Burton and Liz Taylor in another Shakespeare adaptation: The Taming of the Shrew: clever casting of course, but it was the honeyglow-sunlit romanticism of young love in Romeo and Juliet ? not cynical middle-aged love ? which caught the public imagination, tuned into the zeitgeist and gave Zeffirelli his massive hit. Continue reading...
  • post The end of erotica? How Hollywood fell out of love with sex - 16 June
  • The sex scene is dying out: not just because of #MeToo, but also because of new box-office economicsFor decades, no big-box-office, adult-oriented Hollywood movie was apparently complete without a sex scene, from Don?t Look Now to Basic Instinct. Yet it appears that erotica is now dying out in mainstream cinema.A critical analysis published in the Washington Post last week noted: ?Sex is disappearing from the big screen, and it?s making movies less pleasurable.? Continue reading...
  • post Cuba Gooding Jr charged with forcible touching after incident in New York - 13 June
  • Actor denies allegations that he groped a woman at a Manhattan nightclub on SundayActor Cuba Gooding Jr turned himself in to police on Thursday amid allegations that he groped a woman in a Manhattan nightclub.Minutes later he was charged with forcible touching, the New York police department said. Continue reading...
  • post Jessica Biel denies she is an anti-vaxxer after opposing California vaccination law - 13 June
  • The actor said she was ?not against vaccinations? despite joining prominent anti-vaxxer Robert Kennedy Jr in opposition to a bill intended to reduce medical exemptionsJessica Biel denied suggestions she was a supporter of the anti-vaccination movement after spending the day lobbying lawmakers in the US with advocate Robert F Kennedy Jr.After news emerged of her opposition to a vaccine bill which seeks to limit medical exemptions in California and make it more difficult for parents to bypass the rules requiring children to be vaccinated before enrolling in school, Biel wrote on social media: ?I am not against vaccinations ? I support children getting vaccinations and I also support families having the right to make educated medical decisions for their children.? Continue reading...
  • post Bryan Singer to pay $150,000 to settle rape allegation - 13 June
  • Claim denied by director will be discharged following bankruptcy proceedings involving complainant Cesar Sanchez-GuzmanOne of the key allegations against Bryan Singer looks set to be settled out of court after the director agreed to pay $150,000 to resolve allegations that he raped a 17-year-old boy in 2003.In December 2017, Cesar Sanchez-Guzman filed a lawsuit alleging that the director sexually assaulted him during a yacht party in Seattle. The move came shortly after Singer was fired from his role as director of Bohemian Rhapsody. Singer denied the allegations. Continue reading...
  • post Spice Girls to become superheroes in animated movie - 12 June
  • All five original band members are set to lend their voices to a film that will feature original singles and new songsAn animated Spice Girls movie is in the works at Paramount. The film will feature the voices of all five members of the original band and a plot in which the quintet become superheroes.It will be produced by 90s music mogul Simon Fuller, and written by Karen McCullah and Kiwi Smith, whose credits include The House Bunny and Legally Blonde. A director is not yet attached. Continue reading...

* CinemaBlend

* Guardian - Film

* Recent Posts

Re: The Other Queen by Philippa Gregory by Oso
[Today at 11:10:38 AM]

Re: Thanks to Oso by Oso
[Today at 11:07:56 AM]

Re: Thanks to Oso by genie
[June 16, 2019, 08:47:39 PM]

Re: The Other Queen by Philippa Gregory by Luce
[June 15, 2019, 01:37:35 AM]

Re: What number do you see. by Luce