genie@cfl.rr.com Ten Years North and South today!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 15
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Downloads for Forum Members

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 9
  • stats Total Posts: 10682
  • stats Total Topics: 1854
  • stats Total Categories: 6
  • stats Total Boards: 31
  • stats Most Online: 92

Author Topic: Ten Years North and South today!  (Read 849 times)

Luce

• Royalty
  • I've never been so happy in all my life...
Ten Years North and South today!
« on: February 13, 2019, 04:42:50 AM »
Oh, oh, oh, ten years already! See Ra Twitter.
That was on November 14th 2008 and I FORGOT!!! Shame, Luce, shame!
This is and was the BEST lovestory ever!
I fell in love with period drama when I saw this (and a bit with RA, too!).
Whenever I feel a bit down, N&S lifts me up again.
QUEEN UNDER THE MOUNTAIN

genie

• Monarch
  • Royalty
  • oof!
Re: Ten Years North and South today!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 09:30:02 AM »
I don't understand the 10 years.

As the BBC had low expectations for the series, it was not well publicised and went almost unnoticed by critics. Audiences, however, were more receptive; hours after the first episode aired in November 2004, the message board of the programme’s website crashed because of the number of visitors the site was receiving, forcing host bbc.co.uk to shut it down.This sudden interest on the serial was attributed to Richard Armitage, a relatively unknown actor, whose portrayal of the emotionally restrained John Thornton drew parallels with Colin Firth's portrayal of Fitzwilliam Darcy on the BBC's 1995 mini-series Pride and Prejudice, and the reception he later received  Armitage himself claims that the series was a success because of the "industrial landscape and the attention [that the series gives] to the working classes and the way they develop". The reaction to the series was a surprise to the BBC, who then decided to release the DVD on 11 April 2005.

North & South was voted "Best Drama" in the BBC drama website's annual poll in 2004. Richard Armitage was voted "Most Desirable Drama Star" and "Best Actor",Daniela Denby-Ashe was voted "Best Actress" and three different scenes were voted as the year's "Favourite Moments", with the final scene winning the number one spot.

Luce

• Royalty
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 11:54:29 AM »
Look at RA's tweet!

Oh, BTW, there's a new audiobook narrated by RA, 'The Taking of Annie Thorne'.
Must have!!!
QUEEN UNDER THE MOUNTAIN

genie

• Monarch
  • Royalty
  • oof!
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 02:53:31 PM »
Look at RA's tweet!

Oh, BTW, there's a new audiobook narrated by RA, 'The Taking of Annie Thorne'.
Must have!!!

I saw that tweet, but I don 't think he was making it.  Perhaps it had been 10 years since poster saw it first - it doesn't seem to make any sense any way I look at that.

Thanks for "tippin' me the wink" on the audiobook.  Yes, I saw that.

My kindle was stolen when I had that break-in.  So, I finally ordered another one - then returned immediately for one with more storage since it will do Audible (another Amazon product, now).

Luce

• Royalty
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 03:52:31 AM »
Arghhh! I was all wrong, wasn't I?

N&S was first broadcast in 2004! So ten years was in 2014. Silly me!
QUEEN UNDER THE MOUNTAIN

Nath

• Royalty
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2019, 12:40:50 AM »
Luce, 2008 may be the year when you watched N&S first? LOL
I remember it was 2008 for me and the reason why I entered IMDB chats to shear my admiration for this BBC series
and there I got acquainted with Genie, Oso and other friends.

Luce

• Royalty
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2019, 04:11:27 AM »
Luce, 2008 may be the year when you watched N&S first? LOL
I remember it was 2008 for me and the reason why I entered IMDB chats to shear my admiration for this BBC series
and there I got acquainted with Genie, Oso and other friends.

You're exactly right, Nath! 2008 was the year I retired and suddenly had a lot of time on my hands.
I was fond of the Kincaid mystery novels by Deborah Crombie. I asked her which actors she wanted, should the BBC adapt her books for television, and she answered Richard Armitage as Kincaid, a high-ranked police officer in the Metropolitan Police in London and Daniella Denby-Ashe as Gemma Jones, his sergeant.
I'd never heard of them and looked them up. Reading all the praise for Richard's performance, I bought the N&S DVD and have been hooked since!
Then, in 2009, I found Genie's appeal for a writer on her website.
She was already in love with Thornton, so I started writing fanfiction about N & S.

Best years of my life, Genie, dear!
QUEEN UNDER THE MOUNTAIN

genie

• Monarch
  • Royalty
  • oof!
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2019, 10:07:11 AM »

'Tis true, this.

What's been nice for a while is the fact that N&S has been on Netflix and I can sit and watch it all without changing disks.  I just get into my lounge pj's and lounge chair, cuddle up, have a diet coke near, and binge for a day/s.

Is anyone reading my Brotherly Love on Tuesday, here on the front page?

Luce

• Royalty
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2019, 10:28:46 AM »

Is anyone reading my Brotherly Love on Tuesday, here on the front page?

No, I'm NOT, and truly ashamed of it!

I will do so immediately and let you know how I feel. Sorry. It's been a couple of very busy days and I scarcely have time to post my own story.
Six grandkiddies will do that to you!
QUEEN UNDER THE MOUNTAIN

genie

• Monarch
  • Royalty
  • oof!
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2019, 10:32:11 AM »
Don't rush.  It starts getting interesting this coming week.   :fav275:

Luce

• Royalty
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2019, 04:03:08 AM »
Don't rush.  It starts getting interesting this coming week.   :fav275:

Explain 'interesting'? LOL Sex involved?
Lord, I need Hermy to expell all these inappropriate thoughts from my wicked mind!
QUEEN UNDER THE MOUNTAIN

genie

• Monarch
  • Royalty
  • oof!
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2019, 07:29:48 PM »

Lord, I need Hermy to expell all these inappropriate thoughts from my wicked mind!

Luce, know this.  Nothing is inappropriate in thought where RA is!

No sex yet, but more discovery of feelings.  LOL   :362

Luce

• Royalty
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2019, 04:33:23 AM »

Luce, know this.  Nothing is inappropriate in thought where RA is!

No sex yet, but more discovery of feelings.  LOL   :362

I so want to have the time to just sit and read this.

My English classes ask a lot of my time, and so does Hermy. I cook, iron and clean up after him. LOL
The grandkiddies, too, they take up a lot of my time.

Good tidings, too. I finally manage to do some regular writing every day.
Currently working on 'The Reluctant Heartthrob', a contemporary love story based on RA's carreer. Hard work, though!
QUEEN UNDER THE MOUNTAIN

genie

• Monarch
  • Royalty
  • oof!
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2019, 10:02:00 AM »
Well, let me give you a couple of quotes.  Fred returns from sea and finds his sister had never stepped out with a man. He takes it upon himself to teach her the ways of men.  LOL
This is where it has come to his attention.

Fred:   “Margaret, what were you doing back there just now?”

Margaret:  “What do you mean?”

Fred:   “You were seducing the man right in front of me. Where did you learn that? You’ve come a long way, sis.”

Margaret:   “Fred, I did no such thing. I wouldn’t know how to and wouldn’t if I did.”

Fred:   Fred slid closer to her. His face almost touching hers. "You were seducing that man! He couldn’t take his eyes from you. And that line about him being hard to refuse. You’re becoming a tease.”

Margaret:   “I was not doing that.”

Fred:  “You were!”

Margaret:   “Now, stop it, Fred. Fun is fun, but enough of this.”

Fred:   Fred crashed back to his side of the coach, feigning a heart attack, throwing his hand over his chest. “If I wasn’t your brother, I would have swept you off your feet.”

genie

• Monarch
  • Royalty
  • oof!
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2019, 10:30:48 AM »
It's the yearly "Master's Ball".  Adam Bell, being in league with Fred to introduce Margaret to eligible men invites Margaret to ball as his (plus one).

The main course was finally delivered to each patron. As it was set before Margaret, she began to inspect her plate. People were starting to slice their meat while Margaret slowly rotated her plate to see all the sides of this piece of work. It made her wonder if people ate horses up in the north. She looked to Adam for answers.

He leaned again into her ear. “It’s a delicacy Margaret, they’re bull testicles sent fresh from America.” Adam started laughing so loud at Margaret’s expression, he was afraid he would have to explain himself to the table.

Hearing Adam’s uproarious laugh, all eyes fell his way. Fred noticed that his sister was beginning to heave. He rushed to her side, picked her up in his arms and hurried her to the ladies.

She vomited. She had broken into a sweat, and her face was flushed.

“Fred,” Margaret shouted through the door.

“Yes, sis?”

“No one is in here but me. Can you come in? Pretend I screamed.”

Fred opened the door and found Margaret on the floor, all red-faced and drooling still. The attendant came in and although surprised to see a man in the room noticed the lady was in distress.

“Excuse me, ma’am. This is my sister and she called for help.”

* BBC Films

* The Guardian (Film)

• post Video killed the Hollywood star: will vloggers take over the film world? - 22 April
  • Eighth Grade director Bo Burnham was discovered via social media, the latest in a new cohort entering the industry Let Eighth Grade count the ways in which social media has warped teenage life beyond all recognition. Insta-envy, artificial vlog personas, painstakingly posed selfies, Snapchat etiquette ? generally engaging more with your smartphone than any human, and still getting it wrong. But as well as high-school social intercourse, the film also marks how social media is changing the movies, and not necessarily for the worse. Related: Sign up to our Film Today email Continue reading...
  • post Walt Disney heir says paying chief executive £50.5m is 'insane' - 22 April
  • Abigail Disney complains that Bob Iger receives 1,424 times more than company averageAn heir to the Walt Disney fortune has described the $65.6m (£50.5m) paid to the company?s chief executive, Bob Iger, as ?insane?.Abigail Disney, an Emmy award-winning film-maker and a granddaughter of the company?s co-founder Roy Disney, said it was outrageous that Iger was paid 1,424 times more than the average pay for a Disney employee last year. Iger?s 2018 pay package increased by 80% from $36.3m in 2017. He also collected $43.9m in 2016. Continue reading...
  • post Who? What? How? Hulk! ? addressing the Avengers: Endgame theories - 22 April
  • Ever since the shocking finale of Infinity War, Marvel superfans have been speculating on what might happen next but with days to go, who might be right?By now, theorizing about the future of the Marvel Cinematic Universe is as integral to the experience of being a fan as watching the actual movies is.It?s unsurprising: Marvel Studios actively encourages speculation, with obscure Easter egg references, background cameos and post-credit sequences built into every film. With just days before the release of Avengers: Endgame, the culmination of 21 films spanning 11 years, there?s no shortage of theories for how the three-hour movie will wrap up the franchise ? and blow the doors wide open for a new set of characters. Continue reading...
  • post Streaming: the joys of Soviet Movies Online - 22 April
  • Acclaimed 2012 film Betrayal by Russia?s Kirill Serebrennikov, who was recently freed from house arrest, is just one gem on the no-frills streaming siteThere was good news in the film world last week, as embattled, iconoclastic Russian director Kirill Serebrennikov was finally liberated after nearly two years of government-mandated house arrest. Having been detained on apparently trumped-up charges of embezzling state funds for a theatre initiative, his imprisonment became an industry cause celebre attracting the support of Cate Blanchett and Lars von Trier, among others. Serebrennikov?s qualified release (he still can?t leave Moscow) is good news for many reasons, not least among them that he can return to his strange, kinetic brand of film-making.It was the Serebrennikov-related headlines that accidentally prompted this week?s streaming discovery, as I found myself wondering whether the director?s remarkable 2012 film Betrayal ? a memorable standout from that year?s Venice film festival that never got a UK release ? had quietly slipped on to any online platforms. An internet search of the usual channels proved fruitless until I stumbled upon an oddly bounteous site: Soviet Movies Online. Very much a does-what-it-says-on-the-tin enterprise, the service boasts an impressive library of Russian cinema dating from the 1920s to the present day. Continue reading...
  • post On my radar: Neil Jordan?s cultural highlights - 21 April
  • The director on Lisa Halliday?s Asymmetry, Sonny Clark?s jazz trio and the Netflix show ManiacBorn in County Sligo in 1950, director and writer Neil Jordan studied Irish History and English at University College Dublin. His first book, Night in Tunisia, won a Somerset Maugham award and the Guardian fiction prize in 1979; he has published seven novels. His films include The Crying Game (1992), Interview with the Vampire (1994) and The End of the Affair (1999); he created the TV series The Borgias (2011-2013). His new film, Greta, starring Isabelle Huppert and Chloë Grace Moretz, is out now. Continue reading...
  • post Roman Polanski files case to have Academy membership restored - 19 April
  • Film director was removed last year from organisation behind Oscars after sexual misconduct Roman Polanski has asked a judge to restore his membership in the organisation that awards the Oscars nearly a year after he was expelled for sexual misconduct.Lawyers for the 85-year-old fugitive on Friday petitioned Los Angeles Superior Court to compel the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences to make him a member in good standing again. Continue reading...
  • post Cannes festival 2019: full list of films - 22 April
  • All the films screening at the 72nd edition of France?s celebrated film festivalCompetition
    The Dead Don?t Die (dir: Jim Jarmusch) ? opening film
    Atlantique (dir: Mati Diop)
    Bacarau (dir: Kleber Mendonça Filho & Juliano Dornelles)
    Frankie (dir: Ira Sachs)
    A Hidden Life (dir: Terrence Malick)
    It Must Be Heaven (dir: Elia Suleiman)
    Les Misérables (dir: Ladj Ly)
    Little Joe (dir: Jessica Hausner)
    Matthias and Maxime (dir: Xavier Dolan)
    Oh Mercy! (dir: Arnaud Desplechin)
    Parasite (dir: Bong Joon-ho)
    Portrait of a Lady on Fire (dir: Céline Sciamma)
    Sibyl (dir: Justine Triet)
    Sorry We Missed You (dir: Ken Loach)
    Pain and Glory (dir: Pedro Almodóvar)
    The Traitor (dir: Marco Bellocchio)
    La Gomera (dir: Corneliu Porumboiu)
    The Wild Goose Lake (dir: Diao Yinan)
    The Young Ahmed (dir: Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne) Continue reading...
  • post Boyz N the Hood director John Singleton hospitalised after stroke - 20 April
  • Family of Oscar-nominated film-maker, 51, thanked his fans and colleagues for good wishes Oscar-nominated director John Singleton is in intensive care after suffering a stroke. The film-maker, known for movies including Boyz N the Hood, the 2000 remake of Shaft and 2 Fast 2 Furious, fell ill on Wednesday, his family said in a statement to the Press Association.Singleton, 51, is now in hospital ?under great medical care?, they said. Continue reading...
  • post Going, going, Goon: letters by Sellers and Milligan turn air blue - 20 April
  • Previously unseen correspondence between the two comedians and musician Alan Clare is to be sold at auctionThey were never known for their sense of decorum and linguistic restraint, but a cache of previously unpublished letters by Spike Milligan and Peter Sellers proves ? if there were ever any doubt ? their humour was not for the fainthearted.The comic geniuses, who along with Harry Secombe and Michael Bentine made up the cast of the wildly popular Goon Show, deployed their anarchic wit and eccentric punctuation to wincing effect in the letters, which were written to their friend, the jazz pianist Alan Clare. Continue reading...
  • post Robert De Niro calls Donald Trump a 'wannabe gangster' - 20 April
  • Oscar-winning actor says US president has proven himself to be a ?total loser? with no morals
    Robert De Niro has criticised Donald Trump again, calling the US president a ?total loser? and ?wannabe gangster?.The actor has been involved in a long-running dispute with Trump, saying ?fuck Trump? at the Tony awards last year. Continue reading...

* CinemaBlend

* Guardian - Film

* Recent Posts

Re: 2 cellos by Luce
[Today at 04:43:51 AM]

Re: Can you name . . . by Luce
[Today at 04:42:55 AM]

Re: Oh Gee.... something to say by Luce
[Today at 04:41:19 AM]

Oh Gee.... something to say by genie
[April 21, 2019, 02:04:43 PM]

Can you name . . . by genie