* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 15
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Downloads for Forum Members

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 9
  • stats Total Posts: 10977
  • stats Total Topics: 1902
  • stats Total Categories: 6
  • stats Total Boards: 33
  • stats Most Online: 92

Author Topic: Ten Years North and South today!  (Read 1368 times)

Luce

• Royalty
  • I've never been so happy in all my life...
Ten Years North and South today!
« on: February 13, 2019, 04:42:50 AM »
Oh, oh, oh, ten years already! See Ra Twitter.
That was on November 14th 2008 and I FORGOT!!! Shame, Luce, shame!
This is and was the BEST lovestory ever!
I fell in love with period drama when I saw this (and a bit with RA, too!).
Whenever I feel a bit down, N&S lifts me up again.
QUEEN UNDER THE MOUNTAIN

genie

• Monarch
  • Royalty
  • oof!
Re: Ten Years North and South today!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 09:30:02 AM »
I don't understand the 10 years.

As the BBC had low expectations for the series, it was not well publicised and went almost unnoticed by critics. Audiences, however, were more receptive; hours after the first episode aired in November 2004, the message board of the programme’s website crashed because of the number of visitors the site was receiving, forcing host bbc.co.uk to shut it down.This sudden interest on the serial was attributed to Richard Armitage, a relatively unknown actor, whose portrayal of the emotionally restrained John Thornton drew parallels with Colin Firth's portrayal of Fitzwilliam Darcy on the BBC's 1995 mini-series Pride and Prejudice, and the reception he later received  Armitage himself claims that the series was a success because of the "industrial landscape and the attention [that the series gives] to the working classes and the way they develop". The reaction to the series was a surprise to the BBC, who then decided to release the DVD on 11 April 2005.

North & South was voted "Best Drama" in the BBC drama website's annual poll in 2004. Richard Armitage was voted "Most Desirable Drama Star" and "Best Actor",Daniela Denby-Ashe was voted "Best Actress" and three different scenes were voted as the year's "Favourite Moments", with the final scene winning the number one spot.

Luce

• Royalty
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 11:54:29 AM »
Look at RA's tweet!

Oh, BTW, there's a new audiobook narrated by RA, 'The Taking of Annie Thorne'.
Must have!!!
QUEEN UNDER THE MOUNTAIN

genie

• Monarch
  • Royalty
  • oof!
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 02:53:31 PM »
Look at RA's tweet!

Oh, BTW, there's a new audiobook narrated by RA, 'The Taking of Annie Thorne'.
Must have!!!

I saw that tweet, but I don 't think he was making it.  Perhaps it had been 10 years since poster saw it first - it doesn't seem to make any sense any way I look at that.

Thanks for "tippin' me the wink" on the audiobook.  Yes, I saw that.

My kindle was stolen when I had that break-in.  So, I finally ordered another one - then returned immediately for one with more storage since it will do Audible (another Amazon product, now).

Luce

• Royalty
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 03:52:31 AM »
Arghhh! I was all wrong, wasn't I?

N&S was first broadcast in 2004! So ten years was in 2014. Silly me!
QUEEN UNDER THE MOUNTAIN

Nath

• Royalty
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2019, 12:40:50 AM »
Luce, 2008 may be the year when you watched N&S first? LOL
I remember it was 2008 for me and the reason why I entered IMDB chats to shear my admiration for this BBC series
and there I got acquainted with Genie, Oso and other friends.

Luce

• Royalty
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2019, 04:11:27 AM »
Luce, 2008 may be the year when you watched N&S first? LOL
I remember it was 2008 for me and the reason why I entered IMDB chats to shear my admiration for this BBC series
and there I got acquainted with Genie, Oso and other friends.

You're exactly right, Nath! 2008 was the year I retired and suddenly had a lot of time on my hands.
I was fond of the Kincaid mystery novels by Deborah Crombie. I asked her which actors she wanted, should the BBC adapt her books for television, and she answered Richard Armitage as Kincaid, a high-ranked police officer in the Metropolitan Police in London and Daniella Denby-Ashe as Gemma Jones, his sergeant.
I'd never heard of them and looked them up. Reading all the praise for Richard's performance, I bought the N&S DVD and have been hooked since!
Then, in 2009, I found Genie's appeal for a writer on her website.
She was already in love with Thornton, so I started writing fanfiction about N & S.

Best years of my life, Genie, dear!
QUEEN UNDER THE MOUNTAIN

genie

• Monarch
  • Royalty
  • oof!
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2019, 10:07:11 AM »

'Tis true, this.

What's been nice for a while is the fact that N&S has been on Netflix and I can sit and watch it all without changing disks.  I just get into my lounge pj's and lounge chair, cuddle up, have a diet coke near, and binge for a day/s.

Is anyone reading my Brotherly Love on Tuesday, here on the front page?

Luce

• Royalty
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2019, 10:28:46 AM »

Is anyone reading my Brotherly Love on Tuesday, here on the front page?

No, I'm NOT, and truly ashamed of it!

I will do so immediately and let you know how I feel. Sorry. It's been a couple of very busy days and I scarcely have time to post my own story.
Six grandkiddies will do that to you!
QUEEN UNDER THE MOUNTAIN

genie

• Monarch
  • Royalty
  • oof!
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2019, 10:32:11 AM »
Don't rush.  It starts getting interesting this coming week.   :fav275:

Luce

• Royalty
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2019, 04:03:08 AM »
Don't rush.  It starts getting interesting this coming week.   :fav275:

Explain 'interesting'? LOL Sex involved?
Lord, I need Hermy to expell all these inappropriate thoughts from my wicked mind!
QUEEN UNDER THE MOUNTAIN

genie

• Monarch
  • Royalty
  • oof!
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2019, 07:29:48 PM »

Lord, I need Hermy to expell all these inappropriate thoughts from my wicked mind!

Luce, know this.  Nothing is inappropriate in thought where RA is!

No sex yet, but more discovery of feelings.  LOL   :362

Luce

• Royalty
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2019, 04:33:23 AM »

Luce, know this.  Nothing is inappropriate in thought where RA is!

No sex yet, but more discovery of feelings.  LOL   :362

I so want to have the time to just sit and read this.

My English classes ask a lot of my time, and so does Hermy. I cook, iron and clean up after him. LOL
The grandkiddies, too, they take up a lot of my time.

Good tidings, too. I finally manage to do some regular writing every day.
Currently working on 'The Reluctant Heartthrob', a contemporary love story based on RA's carreer. Hard work, though!
QUEEN UNDER THE MOUNTAIN

genie

• Monarch
  • Royalty
  • oof!
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2019, 10:02:00 AM »
Well, let me give you a couple of quotes.  Fred returns from sea and finds his sister had never stepped out with a man. He takes it upon himself to teach her the ways of men.  LOL
This is where it has come to his attention.

Fred:   “Margaret, what were you doing back there just now?”

Margaret:  “What do you mean?”

Fred:   “You were seducing the man right in front of me. Where did you learn that? You’ve come a long way, sis.”

Margaret:   “Fred, I did no such thing. I wouldn’t know how to and wouldn’t if I did.”

Fred:   Fred slid closer to her. His face almost touching hers. "You were seducing that man! He couldn’t take his eyes from you. And that line about him being hard to refuse. You’re becoming a tease.”

Margaret:   “I was not doing that.”

Fred:  “You were!”

Margaret:   “Now, stop it, Fred. Fun is fun, but enough of this.”

Fred:   Fred crashed back to his side of the coach, feigning a heart attack, throwing his hand over his chest. “If I wasn’t your brother, I would have swept you off your feet.”

genie

• Monarch
  • Royalty
  • oof!
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2019, 10:30:48 AM »
It's the yearly "Master's Ball".  Adam Bell, being in league with Fred to introduce Margaret to eligible men invites Margaret to ball as his (plus one).

The main course was finally delivered to each patron. As it was set before Margaret, she began to inspect her plate. People were starting to slice their meat while Margaret slowly rotated her plate to see all the sides of this piece of work. It made her wonder if people ate horses up in the north. She looked to Adam for answers.

He leaned again into her ear. “It’s a delicacy Margaret, they’re bull testicles sent fresh from America.” Adam started laughing so loud at Margaret’s expression, he was afraid he would have to explain himself to the table.

Hearing Adam’s uproarious laugh, all eyes fell his way. Fred noticed that his sister was beginning to heave. He rushed to her side, picked her up in his arms and hurried her to the ladies.

She vomited. She had broken into a sweat, and her face was flushed.

“Fred,” Margaret shouted through the door.

“Yes, sis?”

“No one is in here but me. Can you come in? Pretend I screamed.”

Fred opened the door and found Margaret on the floor, all red-faced and drooling still. The attendant came in and although surprised to see a man in the room noticed the lady was in distress.

“Excuse me, ma’am. This is my sister and she called for help.”

* BBC Films

* The Guardian (Film)

• post Rich territory: how class warfare is taking over the multiplex - 23 August
  • Grisly comedy horror Ready or Not joins a vicious pack of films this year that have been pitting the upper class against the poor The thing about rich people is that they need the working poor much more than the working poor need them. The new horror film Ready or Not imagines a circumstance under which the upper crust will literally ? instantaneously, violently ? cease to exist without the regular sacrifice of the underclass. The Le Domas family, a detestable group of scions to a vast fortune built on a board game empire, keep up a peculiar tradition when one of their own gets married. Before an outsider will be permitted to join their ranks, they must first play a game, which happens to be a lethal round of hide-and-seek for the hardscrabble Grace (Samara Weaving). If she loses, she will be strapped to a ceremonial tablet and gutted like a trout in tribute to Satan. If she wins, the Le Domases are convinced they will all meet their demise, so the girl?s got to go. In-laws, am I right? Related: Ready or Not review ? scrappy comedy horror is all bark and no bite Continue reading...
  • post Tarantino's gruesome revenge fantasies are growing more puerile and misogynistic | Caspar Salmon - 23 August
  • The director dials up the stomach-churning violence in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. If only he had something meaningful to say
    Warning: this story contains spoilersCompare and contrast two screen deaths. In Quentin Tarantino?s second film, Pulp Fiction in 1994, John Travolta?s Vincent Vega accidentally shoots Marvin, a minor character, in the face. The killing happens mid-sentence, in the blink of an eye; in the process Vince covers himself and his acolyte Jules in blood and guts. The scene is played for laughs and succeeds: the horror and suddenness of the event coax an appalled hilarity from viewers, exacerbated by the two hitmen?s reaction, which is to bicker about mundane practicalities.In Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Manson family member Susan Atkins, who slaughtered Sharon Tate and two others with her accomplices in 1969, is killed in self-defence by Cliff Booth (Brad Pitt) and Rick Dalton (Leonardo DiCaprio), by being beaten in the face with a tin can, savaged by a dog and torched with a flamethrower. The scene is also played for comic effect, but in a diametrically opposite way, since the intended humour derives from how prolonged and over the top the brutality is. The violence, though stomach-churning, plays out on a surreal sort of Tex Avery level. Continue reading...
  • post Stan Lee's daughter condemns Disney over Spider-Man split - 23 August
  • ?No one could have treated my father worse than Marvel and Disney?s executives,? says Joan Lee as she backs Sony in studio bust-upJoan Lee, the daughter of the late comics mogul Stan Lee, has spoken out in the wake of this week?s surprise split between studios Sony and Disney over the rights to Lee?s creation, Spider-Man.In a statement to TMZ, Joan Lee said Marvel and Disney (which bought Marvel for $4bn in 2009) need to be ?checked and balanced? in their quest for overall control of Lee?s work. Continue reading...
  • post Dear Boris Johnson, watch these six films before you rip up the Irish backstop and trigger violence | Mark Cousins - 23 August
  • In an open letter to the PM, Northern Irish film-maker Mark Cousins recommends six films, from Neil Jordan?s Angel to Bill Clinton?s eulogy to Martin McGuinness, to make him consider the consequences of no dealDear Boris Johnson,I?m a Northern Irish film-maker, living in Scotland. I have never been great at words, but have learned a lot about life through film. As it is 50 years since the start of the Troubles and, as the backstop is so topical, I thought I would send six films to you at Downing St that clarify why all this matters. Maybe you could watch them on a flight or train journey somewhere? Continue reading...
  • post Rocking the boat: how Cornish class war inspired a masterpiece - 23 August
  • Forget Poldark?s pecs ? with his film Bait, Mark Jenkin has captured the real Cornwall, a place of struggling locals and second-homeowners in simmering conflictTwenty years ago, Mark Jenkin returned to his boyhood home in north Cornwall to shoot his debut film, Golden Burn, about the tensions between local lads and the owner of a caravan park. Jenkin had been studying in Bournemouth, then living in London and would soon move back permanently. ?What?s your Cornwall?? his character asks. ?Weekend getaway, summer retreat, Cornish pasties and clotted cream, pixies? Or is it your home? Not your second home ? your only home??While he was filming in Porthcothan, Jenkin thought up another film, this one about a Cornish civil war. It was August 1999 and thousands of visitors were driving out of the county on the A30, then a single lane, after witnessing the solar eclipse. Named in tribute to Peter Watkins?s 1971 spoof documentary Punishment Park, The Holiday Park would be ?like an Ealing comedy where the locals rose up against mass tourism, ending with the military carpet-bombing the whole of Cornwall, wiping it out and starting again,? Jenkin explains. Continue reading...
  • post Jawline: behind the social media documentary about short-lived fame - 23 August
  • In a compelling new film, a 16-year-old small town boy becomes a star thanks to livestreaming and an ever-changing new world opens upSometime between 2016 and 2017 ? a distinct period, if you follow the rapid hot and colds of social media platforms ? 16-year-old Austyn Tester filmed a video just for himself. Shirtless in front of a wall in his Kingsport, Tennessee, home, Tester flicks his hair with barely contained excitement. After months of live-streaming his middle American high school life on YouNow, cultivating a following of teenage girls who tuned into him lip-syncing, dancing or just hanging out, Tester received interest from a talent manager. Clutching himself and spinning around, he tumbled through a series of revelations. ?This is before I?m famous!? He leaned into the selfie lens. ?It is 10.06pm. I?m not famous right now. Hopefully I?ll be famous soon.? Related: The Obamas' first film: will American Factory be the biggest documentary of 2019? Continue reading...
  • post Miley Cyrus: I was fired from Hotel Transylvania over penis cake photos - 23 August
  • Actor-singer says Sony let her go from family animation after seeing images of her licking a phallic gateau bought for her then-boyfriend Liam HemsworthMiley Cyrus claims she was fired from children?s animation Hotel Transylvania after posing with a penis-shaped cake purchased for her then-boyfriend?s birthday.Listing a series of her lowest points on Twitter on Thursday, Cyrus ? who started her career as a Disney Channel star ? said she was ?kicked off Hotel Transylvania for buying Liam a penis cake and licking it?. Continue reading...
  • post Bombshell: first trailer for star-studded Fox News drama released - 21 August
  • Charlize Theron, Nicole Kidman and Margot Robbie aim for Oscars in the retelling of how Roger Ailes was brought downThe trailer for Bombshell has revealed our first official look at Charlize Theron as Megyn Kelly and Nicole Kidman as Gretchen Carlson. Related: The Loudest Voice review ? Russell Crowe flounders as Roger Ailes Continue reading...
  • post Woody Allen's Rainy Day in New York to open Deauville film festival - 21 August
  • Romance whose release was cancelled by Amazon set to enjoy highest-profile platform to date, ahead of distribution in France, Italy and elsewhere A Rainy Day in New York, Woody Allen?s romantic comedy dropped by distributor Amazon in the wake of the #MeToo movement, is to open the Deauville American film festival next month.The film, which stars Timothée Chalamet and Elle Fanning, will have its highest profile booking so far at the festival, which begins on 6 September. Shot in 2017, the movie, about a young couple?s inauspicious weekend break in Manhattan, fell victim to the taint of a renewed accusation of molestation by Allen made by his adopted daughter, Dylan Farrow. Continue reading...
  • post Dwayne Johnson named highest earning male actor of the year - 21 August
  • Wrestler turned movie star made $89m in the last 12 months, positioning him above Chris Hemsworth and Robert Downey JrDwayne Johnson has been named Hollywood?s highest paid male actor for the second year in a row.According to Forbes, the former wrestler has earned an estimated $89.4m in the last 12 months thanks to roles in Fast & Furious spin-off Hobbs and Shaw, action thriller Skyscraper and his HBO comedy Ballers, which makes him $700,000 an episode. A large portion of his wealth is down to a lucrative back-end deal that sees him earning up to 15% of the box office from his films. Continue reading...

* CinemaBlend

* Guardian - Film

* Recent Posts

Re: August, 22 by Luce
[Today at 04:07:35 AM]

Re: Granny Duty by blueeyedbookworm
[August 22, 2019, 07:34:56 PM]

Re: August, 22 by Oso
[August 22, 2019, 05:04:42 PM]

Re: August, 22 by genie
[August 22, 2019, 02:41:12 PM]

Re: August, 22 by Luce