7 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

October 31, 2020,

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Smileys

Recent Topics

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 579
  • Total Topics: 176
  • Online Today: 20
  • Online Ever: 324
  • (January 21, 2020, )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 7
Total: 7

Author Topic: BEB checking in!  (Read 908 times)

blueeyedbookworm

• View Profile
BEB checking in!
« on: August 30, 2020, »
Hi all! Just wanted to leave a quick note and to say I'm so sorry for being absent so long! I had a lot of trouble getting back in after the latest re-set of the forum, and with everything going on, I've been pretty all over the place these last few months, and trying to conserve my energy (too much, probably). But I'm hoping to get caught back up soon. My family and I have been stressed but healthy, and I hope you are all holding up as best as can be expected during these crazy times. <3

genie

• Administrator
  • oof!
    • View Profile
Re: BEB checking in!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, »
So glad to hear from you.  Next time you have any issues, go to the front of the site and use the "Contact" link. Drop me a line.

Luce

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, »
Hi BEB! So good to hear from you! I was worried about you and your little family.

Oso

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2020, »
BEB!!!  Youíre alive!!!

Iím so happy to hear that all is well with you and your family!  How old is your baby now?  Iím thinking toddler more than baby...and donít you dare say kindergartener.

Give us the whole 411 on your life and what youíve been up to!

blueeyedbookworm

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2020, »
So glad to hear from you.  Next time you have any issues, go to the front of the site and use the "Contact" link. Drop me a line.

I will! Thanks so much, Genie. I'm so sorry I didn't do that this time!

Sorry again to worry you! We are all doing as well as we can during all this weirdness. Lol, the baby's not quite a kindergartner yet, Oso  ;) He's getting big, though!! He'll be 2 already in November, which is blowing my mind :P He's talking lots and having tons of fun at daycare. And we can tell already that he's going to be majorly extroverted when he grows up--he's always saying "hi" and "bye" to everyone we see during our many visits to the park :D (and I do mean MANY...we go nearly every day since there's not much else to do :P)

It's been a pretty crazy summer, to say the least. Back in early May we came to the realization that we're quickly outgrowing our current house (mainly, if the work-from-home situation becomes as extended as it looks like it will, having only one dedicated office space is not gonna work--to say nothing of the fact that there's very little space for Torin to zoom around!), and between that, a desire to be in a quieter area, and the market being really good right now, we decided to sell and move to a new place. The whole process has been a roller coaster, but we're finally going to be moving into our new house on the 15th! It's about a 15 minute drive from our current place, in a tiny little suburb just north of Minneapolis.

We've also had some pretty intense times aside from house stuff, unfortunately--none of us have been sick at all, thank goodness, but there's been a lot of scary stuff going on in our city and neighborhood. Our current house is just a few streets away from where George Floyd was killed, and while our street has been quiet, we were close enough to some of the riots to smell smoke and hear helicopters during that week at the beginning of June when things got really bad. The National Guard came out and everything--I was glad to see them in some ways, but it was definitely a surreal experience to see folks in military dress and carrying automatic rifles on a nearby street corner. The whole experience really hammered home the fact that there are a lot of people hurting out there, and that we all need to do our bit to make things better. We were definitely anxious with everything going on, but we were never actually in any danger. It's made us extra-conscious of our privilege during all of it, and we're still doing lots of soul-searching about what we can do to help improve things for others who aren't as privileged as we are.

Other than that, though, things have been surprisingly okay. The days are a little repetitive, as I know they are for most everybody, but in some ways I've really appreciated having more time to spend with Peder and Torin, as well as to pursue some of my hobbies more. And I know I've probably started to retreat from the world a little *too* much, but at the same time it's given me the chance to think about what I really value spending time on, and there are a lot of lessons that I'm hoping I can take forward into post-COVID times when things are more "normal" again.

I hope you have all been keeping well too, or as well as you can. Genie, I was so sorry to see that you lost a friend to the virus recently--I'll be keeping you in my thoughts. Are you staying safe with all the hurricane activity? Will you have to evacuate, or will you be able to stay? And Oso, I hope the fires haven't reached your area--they sound really bad this year. Scary stuff all around--I hope everybody's keeping in good spirits as much as possible, though.

Luce

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2020, »
Wow! Little Torin almost two? Unbelievable how fast time flies by!
He must be the same age as our little Leonie, my son's daughter.
She's talking ten to the dozen all day, too! I don't always get what she's saying but she surely does her best to make me understand!
They're so cute at that age.

Oso

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2020, »
Wow BEB!  I thought about you when all of the George Floyd protests/riots were going on and wondered if you were anywhere near all of that.  A couple of blocks is way too close for comfort.  Iím so glad to hear that you, Peder and Torin are safe and healthy! 

It has been a crazy year with the pandemic, our election, the social unrest...and to quote Yul Brynner in THE KING AND I...ďet cetera, et cetera, et ceteraĒ... I have never seen such division in our country during my lifetime.

The divide even within families is awful. I canít talk politics with my sister because she sees Trump almost as a divine entity while I see him as the opposite.  So we talk gardens and flowers and sugar and spice and everything nice.

Torin is heading for the terrible 2ís?!  They were never terrible for me, I loved every minute of every year with my kids. Arenít they just the best?  Sounds like he  is very social and has the gift of gab!  Thatís great!  Are you planning on a second child?!

The fires in California are currently all north of here. Fire season is just starting,  so we will see what happens...

You moved during this pandemic?!!!  That is crazy!  So good to hear from you again!  Donít be a stranger!

blueeyedbookworm

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2020, »
He must be the same age as our little Leonie, my son's daughter.
She's talking ten to the dozen all day, too! I don't always get what she's saying but she surely does her best to make me understand!
They're so cute at that age.

Aw, that's so fun! Haha, I love how they develop their own little languages :D We can decipher Torin's for the most part, but there are plenty of times when he sounds very sure about what he's saying, but nobody else quite knows :P

Wow BEB!  I thought about you when all of the George Floyd protests/riots were going on and wondered if you were anywhere near all of that.  A couple of blocks is way too close for comfort.  Iím so glad to hear that you, Peder and Torin are safe and healthy! 

It definitely was! It's one of those things that makes you realize just how fragile society really is--and with tensions already high with COVID stay-at-home orders, etc. I think everybody hit their breaking point. We saw SO many opinions about it all, and while I understand and sympathize with the folks who are saying that riots are the only option left for an oppressed group when no one will listen to them otherwise, it sure was hard to look at it that way on the days we weren't sure we would be safe on our own street. We had like, 5 different friends who offered to take us in if we needed to get out (we didn't, thankfully), and 2 cars that could have gotten us there, which I know is a lot more options than many people even closer to the action had available to them, and I don't take that lightly. But I do wish that people recognized just how dire it felt for people in my neighborhood. And there were a lot of (primarily white) people painting it as, "oh boo hoo, you poor scared white people, calm down, you don't have to deal with this kind of stuff all the time the way less privileged people do" (which in my case, I'll grant them that), but like--we live in a super diverse neighborhood (both ethnically and socioeconomically), and I'm pretty sure all of us were anxious and afraid during it regardless of background. For me it's called into focus how much our society likes to oversimplify things...it's given me no end of frustration, because this is how we keep getting distracted from the actual issues at hand, instead of getting past ourselves long enough to actually improve things.

In any event, I'll step down from my soapbox ;P Mainly I'm just hoping that more good changes than bad come out of it all. I've definitely had a lot of philosophical thoughts about it, lol...I just want to keep the momentum going and do whatever little bit of good I can in my own small circle.

I know what you mean about the family divide, Oso--pretty much my whole family is uber-conservative, and as I've gotten older I've become...not left-leaning, exactly, but way more moderate than I once was, so my opinions on political stuff probably seem pretty all over the place to them (and probably are a bit, if we're being honest, lol). which leads to lots of misunderstandings all around. There are an increasing number of topics we can't talk about without someone getting too heated (usually me :P)...I think I need to take your approach, Oso, and just keep it light!

Haha, indeed! The terrible 2's are indeed approaching--though I hear the term "threenager" more and more, so maybe that'll be even more intense :P He's definitely starting to test boundaries, but most of the time he is an absolute sweetheart, and it's so much fun to see him getting more and more aware and engaged with things. I loved the baby stages too, but it's a ton of fun to have more give-and-take with him!

We're TBD still on whether we'll have a second kiddo--I'm kind of starting to think I want to, but Peder's still on the fence a little bit. Maybe in 2-3 years or so! No matter what we'd have to wait until we're not crushed under the weight of 2 full-time daycare fees at once We were sure glad when we could switch from infant care costs!!

I'm so glad you're well away from where the fires have been! I hope they die down very soon. I've been seeing some very scary pictures of smoky skies this week. I can't imagine dealing with fires in CA and the yearly hurricanes where Genie is--you are rockstars for putting up with it all!

Ha, yeah, the timing for moving is definitely weird!! And there were lots more protocols in place than the last time we bought a house, for sure. It just felt right, though--and to be honest, it turned out to be a REALLY good financial decision, in spite of everything. Which is nice as well, ha! We love this area a lot, and will miss it (despite all the scariness this summer--we actually started looking before any of that happened, so I'm really glad we could make our decision independently of that), but we're looking forward to having a little more space and getting to live in a much quieter, slower-paced area, and living closer to where more of our friends are living now. We've been going to the park in our new neighborhood a lot to get Torin used to the area a little bit, and we've already had so many lovely interactions with folks who live in the area. We feel welcomed in already! I just know it's going to feel like home right away. :)