10 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 26, 2020,

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

genie

2020 Feb 16 11:06:24
Happy Birthday, Old Lady Oso

Smileys

Recent Topics

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 360
  • Total Topics: 115
  • Online Today: 20
  • Online Ever: 324
  • (January 21, 2020, )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 10
Total: 10

Author Topic: The Stranger 1-30  (Read 3674 times)

genie

• Administrator
  • oof!
    • View Profile
The Stranger 1-30
« on: January 15, 2020, »

Luce

• View Profile
Re: The Stranger 1-30
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, »
Damn ... I can't hear it!

genie

• Administrator
  • oof!
    • View Profile

Luce

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2020, »
Okay, I just fixed the sound on my brandnew laptop. It'd gone down the drain after a Windows 10 update.
I messed a bit with Sound and poof, there it was again.

Anyway, this trailer is awesome!!! This is a Richard we haven't seen for a long time! I can't wait!!!

Nath

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, »
I like the trailer, hope to watch this one some day. RA looks great.
Genie thank you for letting us know about the movie.

Luce

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, »
Any chance of a DL?
I can't convince Hermy to take in Netflix, so ...

genie

• Administrator
  • oof!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2020, »
Well, it hasn't started over here yet.  It was moved back to the 30th of this month.

I will look into your request.

Luce

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2020, »
Thank you! Kiss, hug, ...

genie

• Administrator
  • oof!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2020, »
Came on this morning and I have binged-watched all 8 hours today.  I think RA did an excellent job on his character.  I got a little confused and won't mind going back to watch all over again.

It's waiting for you.

genie

• Administrator
  • oof!
    • View Profile
Season 2?
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2020, »
What To Expect From The Stranger Season 2
Will Netflix move forward with The Stranger season 2? The series is based on a standalone book yet sets up more episodes. Here's what to expect next.

BY Q.V. HOUGH
FEB 02, 2020

Will Netflix move forward with The Stranger season 2? Directed by Daniel O'Hara and Hannah Quinn, the British crime series is based on Harlan Coben's 2015 novel, and was adapted for TV by screenwriter Danny Brocklehurst. The Stranger season 1 premiered on January 30, 2020.

The Stranger season 1 begins with numerous people being blackmailed by a young woman (Hannah John-Kamen) with unknown motivations. A man named Adam Price (Richard Armitage) learns that his wife Corrine (Dervla Kirwan) faked a pregnancy and possibly stole money from a local football club. She ultimately goes missing, prompting Adam to begin his own investigation while DS Johanna Griffin (Siobhan Finneran) deals with a separate group of problems. Meanwhile, Johanna's colleague John Katz (Paul Kaye) covers up a conspiracy so that he can secure the appropriate funds to pay for his sick daughter's medical bills. Only, there's a huge twist that leaves John foaming from the mouth and spiraling out of control.

The penultimate episode of The Stranger season 1 reveals the true identity of the titular character, along with her blood connection to another main player. But the action mostly falls on the fate of Adam's wife Corrine, and why she disappeared. Here's everything we expect for The Stranger season 2 on Netflix.

The Stranger Season 2 Renewal
Kadiff Kirwan and Siobhan Finneran in The Stranger
Expect Netflix to wait approximately three to six weeks after The Stranger season 1's release date before making a renewal or cancellation announcement. Since the series has received strong reviews and clearly sets up more episodes, it seems most likely that Netflix will greenlight The Stranger season 2 before the end of Winter 2020. The original book is indeed a standalone story, but there's plenty of potential for Netflix to produce more seasons, especially given the performers involved.

The Stranger Season 2 Release Date
Anthony Head in The Stranger
If Netflix orders The Stranger season 2 by mid-March, then filming and post-production will theoretically take up the rest of the year. Expect new episodes to release around the same time in January 2021. We'll predict that The Stranger season 2 will release sometime between January 25-29, 2021.

The Stranger Season 2 Story
Richard Armitage in The Stranger
The Stranger season 1 concludes with a tidy wrap-up. For the initial eight episodes, Paul Kaye arguably delivers the most chaotic performance, as his character John Katz attempts to protect his sick daughter while covering his tracks to protect financial interests, only to learn that his ex-wife had been poisoning his daughter all along — the result of a mental health disorder known as Munchausen syndrome by proxy (see Hulu's The Act).

Aside from Katz's downfall, The Stranger season 1 finale wraps up the Corinne murder mystery. After a violent confrontation between Adam and a former ally, he seems to be in the clear thanks to some clean-up work from DS Johanna Griffin. The irony, however, is that their big secret connects to the premise for the stranger's work. And now that we know the true identity of said stranger, otherwise known as Chrissy, her on-going quest for justice could very well cause a few problems for Adam or — perhaps more likely — for his father. Expect The Stranger season 2 on Netflix to include much more screen time for John-Kamen as the title character.

genie

• Administrator
  • oof!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2020, »
Why Netflix show The Stranger, starring Richard Armitage, isn't your typical true crime series

There are few shows that start like Netflix’s The Stranger. Adam (Richard Armitage) is sat at a bar inside the clubhouse of the local football team his wife helps run and his younger son plays for. A woman walks up to him and tells him his wife faked a pregnancy two years ago and the miscarriage that followed. Also, that the two sons he does have might not be his either. ‘I’d get a DNA match done if I were you,’ this woman (the stranger) says before leaving. All of this happens inside the first five minutes of a beguiling opening act. What follows is a complex labyrinth of familial and local secrets that intertwine to leave Adam sandwiched between more than just two slices of bread. Released to little noise Netflix’s The Stranger has acquired quite the reputation as an bingeable mini-series, and none of it is unjustified.

After Adam is tipped by the mysterious woman he decides to confront his wife, the eminently likeable Corinne (Dervla Kirwan). While she doesn’t deny nor respond to Adam’s perfectly understandable outburst Corinne has the look of guilt on her. ‘There is more to this’ she says before walking away and leaving poor Adam simmering in anger. A day later, she disappears altogether. Meanwhile, it turns out that Adam isn’t the only person ‘The Stranger’ has approached with a secret. Turns out there are others, some of them, this woman has blackmailed for money in what she later claims is her ‘mission to expose everyone’s secrets’. Wouldn’t that be revolutionary, disrobing the world of every personal lie it wears to keep the fabric from splitting down the middle? It is a question that perpetually teases each bend in The Stranger, the idea that everyone has something to hide. Though there is nothing proprietary about that claim there is something unique, though somewhat unexplored along its edge – what happens when we pretend to suffer just so we can be loved?

Why Netflix show The Stranger, starring Richard Armitage, isnt your typical true crime seriesRichard Armitage in The Stranger. YouTube
As Adam loses sleep, both over her wife’s inconsistencies and her having now gone missing, in jumps local policewoman DS Johanna Griffin (Siobhan Finneran) and her partner Wes (Kadiff Kirwan) who happen to be investigating a dead alpaca (pig) and a naked boy found in the woods on the morning a midnight rave party. There is also the small matter of financial irregularities at the football club Corinne is the treasurer of and a rogue police officer covering up some indecent secrets about a local bigwig. There is so much to pack in this show that sometimes it can be too much of disco rig, shimmying one way and jerking the other. But that is one of the joys of The Stranger. It is not a procedural, with the deadbeat brooding of two central detectives. Neither is it as drab and depressing as the UK’s other missing person original The Missing. Instead, both Griffin and Wes are hilarious. In one scene Wes, gifts his senior officer a giant penis shaped cake asking her to ‘join tinder for good’. The kids in the series are especially funny, cutting through the macabre realism of everything the adults are dealing with.

Played with measured angst by Armitage, Adam’s eyes sockets deepen as the show goes on. From his father to a close friend he used to trust, multiple secrets land in his lap and all of them in one way or another, lead to the mysterious woman. Though the series can at times toss too big a ball of wool to be able to quickly knit it into shape, it remains anchored and consistent on one end, the hiding of secrets, even from your loved ones. One of the key takeaways, in fact, is this suggestion that we often claim victim hood as a way to gaining sympathy, love, attraction and care. A woman Adam hunts down calmly explains to him why she faked her pregnancy like Corinne’s. ‘People were nice. They started paying attention. They started opening doors for me,’ she says, as Adam, looking on, lets his shoulders drop. He might have pushed his wife to it, he thinks. It’s a novel, yet universal idea really, the attempt to manufacture sympathy among other emotional needs.

The Stranger has so many red-herrings and blind curves, you surely won’t see many coming. It isn’t built like a typical noir or true crime series, nor is it tonally one way or the other. It won’t dizzy you with dread or saddle your senses with police-speak. Nor does The Stranger, incredibly, dwell, extensively on loss the way many shows would. It is instead fastened to the idea of doubt, the nagging sense that you, and everyone you know has both lied and has been lied to. Adam, as we learn later, has held onto a secret of his own. But though there may be a woman on a mission to unmask these lies, Adam, through tragedy, learns that living without keeping a secret, simply isn’t possible. There is only one truth, the one you choose to tell.

https://www.firstpost.com/entertainment/why-netflix-show-the-stranger-starring-richard-armitage-isnt-your-typical-true-crime-series-8089251.html

Luce

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2020, »
Well !!!!!

I thoroughly enjoyed this show, and not only because of Richard's performance, which is awesome!
The others - Anthony Head, Siobhan Finneran, Hannah John-Kamen, et cetera - are also amazing.

This is what the Brits do best - create a thriller/mystery show!

Yet ... I'm puzzled as to how they'll succeed in making Season 2. The story was wrapped up well and good, I.M.O.

Waiting with baited breath!

genie

• Administrator
  • oof!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2020, »
I think exactly as you do.

This "secret" that the wife won't spill, didn't seem resolved = or did I miss that?  I thought it might stem from there - onward.

Luce

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2020, »
Yes! And Adam hasn't told his dad about his halfsister.

I might be able to see a budding romance between the policewoman and Adam, though ...
That bloke she's with is rubbish. He - Adam - is just too yummy not to find love again.

genie

• Administrator
  • oof!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2020, »
His grieving over his wife will constitute the entire 2nd season. Oof.  Oh well, some really good brooding episodes ahead.