6 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

October 24, 2020,

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Smileys

Recent Topics

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 560
  • Total Topics: 172
  • Online Today: 23
  • Online Ever: 324
  • (January 21, 2020, )
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 6
Total: 6

Author Topic: Sanditon  (Read 1370 times)

Luce

• View Profile
Sanditon
« on: February 11, 2020, »
Our Lise gifted me with the Sanditon DVDs for my birthday. I finally found the time to watch them.

Well ... what shall I say? Although it is Jane Austen's last novel, one that she didn't finish due to her progressing fatal illness, it's very hard to find her in this adaptation.

Granted, she didn't write all of it, so any writer or filmmaker can do as they like to finish it, but still ... after like ten minutes into the first of the eight episodes, Jane Austen is well and truly gone!

Nevertheless, the series are quite lovely. The actors, like all Brits, are marvelous. The story is very plausible. Idle rich people indulging in money spending, poor country-bred girls being trampled on, and so on. Idle titled people acting rude and condescendingly, and of course, a rich old aunt treating everybody like dirt!

Oh, and this isn't something you would see in an Austen novel; gentlemen bathing in the nude while young ladies are watching from the beach. Must be a modern thing slipped in.

All in all, a must-see!

genie

• Administrator
  • oof!
    • View Profile
Re: Sanditon
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, »
I'm watching it, too, but in weekly installments.

It's driving me crazy to wait a week rather than binging.  Not sure which episode I'm on but it seems like it is drawing to a satisfactory close.

I've enjoyed it.

Also the same with Vienna Blood.